Retina MBP - Slow graphics performance in some cases

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mork, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Mork macrumors 6502

I have new "top of the line" MBP (2.7 MHz, 16 GB, blah, blah, blah). I've noticed that in some applications, like Curio and OmniGraffle, graphics seem quite slow in some contexts (not always).

Specifically, in Omnigraffle if I put the mouse on a graphic and try to move it around quickly, it's nowhere near as fast as a three year old imac. There's a noticeable, but small delay.

In Curio, the note-taking program, I have a custom stencil for adding a note. The problem here is that after about 50 lines of text in the stencil, there is a HUGE delay between hitting a key and seeing it appear -- possibly half a second or more.

I've tried a PRAM reset, running in "Best for Retina" resolution, and even removing a PLIST file I saw on one of the other postings.

Not sure what's going on, but I'm still within my 14 days so if I need to return the MPB, I still can...

Of course, I'd rather fix the problem...

I've also noticed that loading some large files are faster on the three year-old-imac sometimes by 10 seconds or more. A novel in Scrivener takes about 10 seconds longer on the MBP.

Perhaps a laptop is just a major compromise, but I still expected more (for $4K).

Look forward to any suggestions on what I might try.

Thanks,

m

2. MacKid macrumors 6502

The OS is still very hardware bound at this stage. I don't know much about the apps you mentioned other than OmniGraffle, but if jittery UI framerates are unacceptable to you, I'd recommend returning it in exchange for a classic MBP. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

3. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply.

The apple store hassle factor is such that I'll probably just keep the Retina. It's a beautiful machine; I just noticed the graphics issues that I was surprised to see.

The laptop does boot much faster than any machine I've ever seen and application start-up for most is about as fast as you could ask for and definitely acceptable for any app I have. Photoshop, for example, starts in less than 2 seconds! The screen even at 2880 x 1800 is crisp and readable, but small. But heck, the screen is still just amazing.

When you're just "using" the laptop (like the work you do all day) and not focusing on the things that seem to give it trouble, it's really wonderful.

It's surprising to see that my three-year-old imac can still keep up and in some cases is still faster -- even with its 7200 RPM drive vs. the Retina's SSD.

I have a couple more days before my magical 14-day return period is over so I'll have to keep thinking about it I guess...

Thanks again.

- m

4. ppone macrumors regular

Hello,

You should try a non HiDPI resolution. Unfortunately the system won't let you change to a non HiDPI resolution through the interface. There is app that will, and the source code is contained in the app folder.

Please check out this thread. It should fix your performance issues, but using a resolution less than 2880x1800 non HiDPI, will have some blurring, but I think it is still still better than cMBP.

IF your eyes can handle it using 2880x1800 non HiDPI, will be great. The screen you will retain the crispness but you resolve your performance issues.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1544314

which directly links to this thread

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/vi9yf/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to/

you can download the app from a dropbox link in the thread. The app doesn't require any admin password and it's pretty stable. Once you change your resolution you don't need the app till you want to change it again. You can still change it to HiDPI resolution through the settings UI.