Retina MBP still having display problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Byzanti, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Byzanti macrumors newbie

Hi

Are new rMBP still being supplied with the LG (I think?) displays that were causing image retention/ghosting? Or has this been solved now?

Many thanks!

2. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I got one last week with an LG panel, but not having issues yet. I do a lot of stream watching for E-Sports too so there are static logos, and no ghosting or retention.

3. walkie macrumors 6502

I got mine this week and it came with a Samsung monitor, this one is flawless.

4. Modernape macrumors regular

the 13" inch doesn't seem to be having as many issues reported as the 15" for some reason, but no IR here after 4 months.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I've had mine for a month now, it has a LG panel and so far no issues. Hands down the best display I've ever used.

6. Byzanti thread starter macrumors newbie

7. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

I went into my local Apple store today and tested one of their display rMBPs for IR using this test http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html and it was really bad. I left the chessboard display up for about 2 mins (the site recommends 10) then went to the grey screen and actually thought the test site was playing a trick because I could see the pattern so clearly! I closed safari and the pattern was still there.

8. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

The problems with the display are manly LG I've gone through various LG screens. Most report not having the issue at first but after a few months they end up having the issue. Not to say it happens to all LG screens but so far history has shown this to happen.

Don't worry about the issue until it comes up. It seems that if you have the issue it'll be well within your 1 year warranty and Apple has seemed to be replacing all the screens with Samsung which is less likely to have IR (I have a Samsung).

But if you want a Samsung off the bat it seems that those who order a maxed out version of the rMBP have a higher chance of getting a Samsung.

I had a friend who ordered a regular base rMBP got LG then returned it for a maxed out one and got Samsung. I myself had a base before just pulling the plug on a max and got a Samsung screen.

As for the 13 rMBP I have no idea.

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

This!

Read the monstrous thread on Apple's Forum -> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?tstart=0

10. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Frist 15R LG display. perfect. Apple swapped it out due to a major heat issue while sleeping.

currently have a samsung and its... just as good as the LG. Love the computer. Live on it too.

11. joeysarks macrumors regular

Got a refurb last week, LG screen, no issues so far here:)

12. eminemead macrumors newbie

wow. i think i might get it first before spending too much time worrying about this.

God bless me.

13. kangsw2 macrumors newbie

I had many different displays, Samsung and LG. Actually, Samsung and LG both get their screen under different manufactures who work for them. It is not always about LG.. as we see from the survey, there are many people who tested IR and nothing happened. I had 2 Samsung screens and returned because of uneven brightness and dead pixels. While on return/exchange process, I saw two different things from these variation: LG and Samsung do have perfect (free of defect) screen and imperfect (very uneven brightness, yellow tint gradually, active and dead pixel). IMO, I can agree people who really want to get Samsung screen because they want it so badly (with a generalized thought Samsung is 100% defect free). But really, I see LG one is as good as Samsung and both are GOOD. I chose LG screen (defect free) and white/black was JUST so amazing comparing to Samsung and other monitors I have. First time I bought rMBP was last july and finally chose one this early month because they met my highest expectation- perhaps I guess they really improved quality control but it is just my personal opinion. But I do believe you will get less placebo effect if you really have a chance to compare them. I am picky as anyone accused of having OCD and the quality I see now on LG screen does meet my expectation.