Retina MBP (the 1 thing the missed)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pitt1717, Jun 11, 2012.

1. pitt1717 macrumors regular

I love this new machine. would love to pull the trigger. but after calming down and looking at the specs again, i noticed the one thing they missed. the wireless is still N. they should have with out a doubt put in an AC card. I mean if they feel wireless id the way to go by dropping the ethernet port (i know theres an adapter) then they should have put in the latest wireless

anyone else feel the same?

2. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

i really hate bumping my own thread, but this is weighing on me..... I'm surprised more people aren't saying anything. i mean if we can't replace ram, we prob aren't going to be able to replace the wireless card.
    so later this year when AC has more routers to choose from we will have this great laptop that can't take advantage of it at all. not by changing the internal card and no slot for an external....
    sorry, but with wireless so important now, i just can't believe they didn't look forward here.... am i just wrong on this one?

3. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

I can stream 1080p video to my aTV through my N network so personally I'm not worried and I don't really care about N yet

4. Hidendra macrumors member

the speeds ac present is only theoretical. If I need that kind of speed, i would just use ethernet, which is very reasonably priced.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Who knows. Maybe the wireless can be updated to AC once it becomes more widely used.

6. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

Yeah, wireless N is the current standard, and it is enough for just about everyone. I don't expect to see AC as the new default any time soon, even though some routers are starting to appear.

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Why would you want AC if no routers or wireless networking devices support it yet? I remember reading on Engadget that there's one PC laptop (from Acer, I think) that has WiFi AC.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No.

802.11ac is a draft standard and the first router was launched less than a month ago. It's a bit premature. If the standard changes and Apple can't update the card they'd get class-action lawsuited before they knew what hit them.

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Wait......

What would the class-action lawsuit be based on? They aren't selling you anything that says it is or supports ac.

10. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Another thing that is missing (not on the Retina MBP but on the 13-inch & 15-inch MBP) is the Kensington lock slot. I was a bit surprised by Apple's move on this. Perhaps they couldn't fit it in. Who knows!

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Really?

That's a big oops!

----------

Maybe it does already and they just never announced it?

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yes really. What would you base the class action lawsuit on?

13. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

please don't go down that road.... you bought something, tech changes, deal with it..

i just remember my mbp in 2007 came with N, when N was very scarce and still in draft i believe. and yes i saw asus came out with a laptop with ac, which is why i thought apple would have done it too. we all use wireless so much, I'm really disappointed about this. remember is backwards compatible until more devices come out

14. eron macrumors 6502

They would when they release new Airport devices with AC.

15. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

WOW, i can't believe that got over looked.... that is a reason right there corporations won't adopt. good find.... not a deal breaker for me.... man i want to by this thing

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

IANAL. I'm also British, and we don't just sue people because we're quite well adjusted.

Sorry, I fail to understand. There's nothing I need to deal with. I'm perfectly happy with my 802.11n networking. The expectation that Apple should fit an untested network technology that they can supply no supporting airport devices for appears a little unreasonable.

I'm sure when the technology is ratified and tested Apple will transition all the Airport devices to 802.11ac.

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

You don't sue because you are British but you want a class action lawsuit? Odd

18. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

There's not such thing over here. I never said I wanted a class action lawsuit - I was making a sweeping generalisation about the Americans fondness for them.

Sheesh!

19. that1guyy macrumors 6502

The thing that I really miss is the battery indicator. It was so cool and useful :mad:

Damn you Apple.