Retina MBP Vertical Dock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wthomas86, Jan 23, 2014.

1. wthomas86 macrumors member

This dock looks very promising. I owned one of these with my previous macbook pro and was waiting for a vertical version for the retina. I prefer this much more than the horizontal dock that they previously announced since I am looking for the minimal footprint. The aluminum looks great too!

Here's the link to their site: http://hengedocks.com/blog/?p=1272

IMG_0559.jpg

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Looks sexy, I'd definitely consider one if I was using a desktop screen set up at home or something.
    Maybe in my perfect studio set up... One day.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My problem with is that it wears out all ports on my one side of my computer.

That is why I have the Belkin Thunderbolt dock. I gives me added functionality without taking all my ports and only uses one Thunderbolt connection.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would be nervous that it would get knocked over - how stable is it?

5. Uliman macrumors member

I was looking at the Henge dock but the Belkin also looks appealing. Would inserting the rMBP into the Henge dock on a daily basis really wear out the ports? That would be of great concern! Meanwhile, the Henge unit isn't even available yet (late Feb it says on the website).

I love the idea of just one computer for both travelling (even just to the coffee shop!) and then at home just dock it in and enjoy a 27" monitor with large HDD and wireless keyboard (Apple of course). From what I have read the 13" rMBP has sufficient processing power to even do some video transcoding which is the very most I ever ask my home desktop to do (windows machine).

Any actual reports of ports wearing out?

6. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

One of the big + of the henge docks vs the blekin one is not having to plug everything in when settings up. I vision the henge dock sitting on my desk and all I have to do is drop by rMBP into the dock turn monitor on and everything is up and working(Mouse, keyboard, external HD's, monitor etc).

I don't see the ports wearing out unless you are aggressive with putting the mbp in

7. wthomas86 thread starter macrumors member

My experience from an older model is that they are very stable. However, I want to figure out a way to keep it firmly attached to whatever surface I put it on so i would only need one hand to pull it out. I'll figure that out once i get one i guess.

----------

you also don't have to deal with any compatibility problems with software. price is also cheaper than belkin

8. philxor macrumors regular

I've used a plastic Henge Dock with my MBA for the last 2.5 years without any issues. Just plug it in, attach the power cable, and hit a key on my BT keyboard/trackpad and go.

The ports getting worn out is an interesting topic. The prongs on the USB port which gets inserted into the dock on my MBA are definitely a little more worn than the one on the other side of the laptop. However, I've never had an issue with plugging any devices into the port. Realistically I've probably plugged more USB devices into the port than the dock, I use it to charge my phone all the time when at home. The Thunderbolt port doesn't look any different and I've never had any issues with it.

The nice thing about this one is the power cable is built in on the bottom, with the MBA the power was on top so you still had to plug it in and have a cable hanging around.

They are very stable, you aren't going to knock it over without some force... Pulling the device back out you need to press onto the base of the dock, but I don't even know I'm doing it anymore, it's just second nature.