Retina MBP video issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by browerjs, Feb 11, 2013.

1. browerjs, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

browerjs macrumors member

On my rMBP, the video will flicker/ghost intermittently. It has gotten worse over the last month or two, and does it more frequently. Here is a screen shot from a video I took where the flickering occurs. The ghosted image isn't static, it raises from the bottom of the display and then goes away, and repeats every once and a while. Sometimes if I change the angle of the screen the problem goes away, or is less frequent. This makes me think it's some kind of connection issue.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I removed the image, as it could just be confusing... Aftering doing some more research, here is what I'm seeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq0l-bHmSYE

2. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

That is pretty bad. Did you notice this when you first got it? Or did it gradually become this way after a couple of month?

I've only had mine for a week now but haven't noticed any ghosting yet but wanted to keep an eye out for it.

3. browerjs thread starter macrumors member

I ordered it on release day. I didn't really notice the flickering until the last 2 or 3 months.

Again, this is not a static ghosting/image retention issue. As this screenshot is a single frame from a video.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The flickering is caused by a faulty/loose LVDS cable.

Take it to an Apple store. Reseating the cable may work, otherwise, since it's not a part you can replace without practically destroying the LCD In the rMBP, you'll need a new clamshell.