Retina MBP vs Mac Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toples50, Apr 4, 2014.

1. toples50 macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 retina MBP 2.3GHz model 15'' and I use it for general purpose.I've found a 2010 Mac Pro 12-core/2.66GHz,24GB Ram at 2000 euros(here in Greece).Worth it or not over retina MBP ,because it cannot support 4K(without expensive graphics card) has not thunderbolt or USB 3.It is better for me to keep the MacBook and changed in the future or trade it for Mac Pro?

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Power or portability - you know what your requirements are. It's your choice to make and not ours.

3. toples50 thread starter macrumors newbie

The choice is mine but I want to take an opinion,if it's worth the purchase of a Mac Pro 4 years old even if it's 12-core

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The MP will be a little over twice as fast, though with the limitations you note.

"Worth" is far too subjective a term on which to make a recommendation.

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I have both. Mac Pro for the horsepower, renders, transconding and any hard work and cos of that my MBP doesn't take a fraction of the pounding it used to do. I like it that way.

4k can be supported via PCIe cards, optionally flashed with EFI for bootscreen, SATA3 works via PCIe as well as USB 3.0. The 12 core can go up to 3.46Ghz CPU's and 128Gb ram, though 96Gb at full speed. Only thing permanently lacking is Thunderbolt.

I suggest for more info you pop over to the Mac Pro sub-forum and ask them - the best cheese-grater resource anywhere. 2000 euros seems a little bit pricey to me..

6. 5to1 macrumors regular

In this case theres not much opinion one can give that will be of any relevance compared to your own experience. We're talking about a laptop and a desktop here.

I assume you valued the mobility of a laptop, otherwise why did you not buy a desktop in the first place? So assuming you still need mobility, you should make the same decision again (the desktop isn't suitable). Alternatively if you no longer need the mobility, the question is are you processor/hardware bound? If so then get the cheapest desktop which will meet your new requirements. Which of course we can help with, if you elaborate on what you do and where the laptop restricts you. What we can't really do is tell you if you still need a laptop, which trumps any other considerations obviously :)