Retina MBP VS. Standard MBP for Video Editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skatinkamel, Jun 15, 2012.

1. skatinkamel macrumors newbie

I have currently been debating whether I should put my money towards the base model Retina MBP or the high end standard MBP (2012). I need the machine to do video editing efficiently (Final Cut Pro, After Effects) as well as illustrator/photoshop based graphic design. I also plan on doing both 2D and 3D animation with this machine (Maya, Flash). Which machine would you guys recommend as the best in terms of performance and reliability?Also, I plan on using this for the next 4 years while in school.

2. Acidsplat macrumors regular

The standard MBP may be useful if you want to upgrade the RAM and hard drive later on. Unfortunately, with the retina MBP, the only thing you'll be able to upgrade in the future is the SSD capacity.

It is really a personal decision that only you can decide what fits your needs. The base RMBP is a fast machine, but the standard MBP has an optical drive, built in ethernet, and a FireWire Port. You have to decide whats more important and will last you the next 4 years.

I'm going into video game design at the Academy of Art University this Spring, and I've decided on the RMBP. It's plenty fast enough, even for Maya.

3. thatguy215 macrumors member

I'm on the same boat. I'm leaning more towards the the Retina mostly because of the screen and the thinness of it.

I did some calculations on the price and the upgraded MBP(to similar specs) would be about the same price as the Retina. However I can always get Ethernet or fire wire adapters but the retina is something I can't "upgrade" later on.

4. skatinkamel thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing that is keeping me from the retina is the 1GB GT650M. Im not sure if that is enough power for the retina. Im not sure how dependent im going to be on my graphics card with these programs especially Maya.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Max it out dawg, and get it. Max out da SSD (512?) and da RAM.

You can sellz it latah and get somethingz new, nahmean?

On da real though, forget about Maya if you're going to use OpenGL...3d software is super heavy and I recommend a Mac Pro.

6. Acidsplat macrumors regular

The GT 650m is actually a great graphics card. It can play Crysis 2 on high settings. It handles the retina resolution well enough, and pro apps like Maya, the Creative Suite, and Apple's pro apps should run fine.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

it will run fine, but there's no way in hell you can do crazy stuff on it. Rendering is going to heat up the machine so much, it will make it untouchable to the hand. Also Intel has turbo boost, so that thing is going to be constantly running to 3.8ghz.

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You should get the new MacBook Pro with Retina. Why?

1. Same price (Compare with the non Retina high end MBP)
    2. Retina Display (Amazing for your needs)
    3. SSD + 8GB Ram by default (Remember the Ram is not user upgradable, I reckon you should be fine with 8GB)

Good luck with your final decision :)

9. skatinkamel thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not too concerned about maya by the time I get extensive with maya I hope to hae a dedicated system. More importantly i want photoshop to run smoothly as well as flash. Also the retina I would buy is the 2.3ghz with 16gb ram and the 256gb SSD. The legacy mbp would instead be a 2.6ghz do to the fact that i can upgrade later on.

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You'll be fine. I push my 2011 MBP like a mofo with Adobe applications, so don't worry.

Just saying, 3d stuff is tougher to deal with. Especially if you're doing high end stuff like GI, etc.

I have the 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM and 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, it flies. I use it as a desktop replacement with an external monitor. Only downside is the fans, but hopefully on the new MBP it's not as loud.