Retina MBP won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thijs Moonen, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Thijs Moonen macrumors member

Aug 22, 2011

Can you help me diagnose what's wrong with my MBP (MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.4 13" Late 2013)?

description of symptoms:

The other day I was using it and ran out of battery. I plugged in the charger but it wouldn't wake up from sleep. I tried to hold the power button down to force a shut down and restart, nothing happened. Than, after about 5-10 minutes of fiddling with the power button, it suddenly woke up again (woke up, didn't reboot) as if nothing happened. I didn't think about it anymore.

Yesterday, a few days later, I shut the computer down for the first time since that incident and tried to restart it again. Nothing. No chime, nothing on screen. Basically as if I hadn't pressed the power button at all.

things I've tried:

I charged the battery to full overnight (charger indicator is functional) and tried
    - holding down the power button for 10 seconds
    - holding down option+cmd+p+r

Any ideas? Thanks!
  2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
  3. Thijs Moonen thread starter macrumors member

Aug 22, 2011
    I can't believe it! Holding down option+cmd and the power button made it come alive as if nothing had happened, after a try or two. I'm still scared to shut it down again but when things get a little less hectic I'll reboot with an NVRAM reset.

Thanks mikes!
  4. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005

I helped a coworker who was having this problem about a week ago -- issue has not recurred since. This is unfortunately just one of those things that happens from time to time. But I'd recommend taking this time to make a backup if you don't have one.
  5. Thijs Moonen thread starter macrumors member

Aug 22, 2011
    Yup, making a backup is the first thing I did. Thanks again!
  6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2013
    My 2012 13" classic MBP has done this twice in the year that I have owned it. I have found that I have to press and hold the power button for 2-3 minutes before it will power on. Not sure why this happens but it's annoying. I would try this, 10 seconds may not be enough.
  7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Oct 24, 2013
    Basically modern batteries don't like to run out.