iPad mini Retina Mini daily use

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Samtb, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

In daily usage, how often do you zoom in to read things on a retina mini? With the non retina mini, some people zoomed in quite a bit to read A4 size documents or magazines. But what about with the retina mini compared to the air?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I found myself zooming in 90% of the time which is why I returned it and purchased an Air.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I have to zoom in portrait orientation almost all the time; unless the site has a mobile/ tablet version. Landscape orientation is much better and I don't have to zoom as much.

4. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Ditto. I hated web browsing on it. Air is much better for that.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I persevered with the rMini for 3 days and returned it as I was doing the same and left with the iPad Air.

The extra real estate was appreciated for my poor old eyes.

6. TheAnvil macrumors regular

Yes. You tend to zoom in a lot more than the bigger iPads.
    I always use it in landscape mode, which is perfect for me.

7. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Only by accident if I double tap on a spot. Guess my vision isn't as bad as my wife thinks it is.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't zoom much at all. However, when I read these forums I use the rMini in landscape.

9. Wbutchart macrumors regular

I zoom sometimes, most websites are ok, but cause zoom is so smooth it's not really a hassle.

10. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I thought this would be an issue when I first got the mini, but I don't even give it a second thought anymore. If I need to zoom in, I just double click or flip into landscape mode. Most sites I can read just fine in portrait. Complete non-issue.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Rarely ever. That's what reader mode for Safari is for. :)

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I don't need to zoom in much at all. I'm typing and reading this site now on my Mini. I di have one or two apps where the text is just so small and there is no way to adjust it in the app. I use those apps on the Air.

I'm happy I own both.

13. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

No need to zoom. For me, I love the small crisp text. My retina mini is great!

14. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I zoom a lot, but I also zoom on my full sized iPads. Zooming is a way to read without being surrounded by flashing ads on both sides of the article.

15. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

When I first got my mini I zoomed a lot but I've noticed I zoom way less now even in portrait. I think it just takes time to acclimate if you have good eyes. If I did have to zoom a lot still it probably wouldn't bother me because iOS has implemented zoom pretty well, especially with double tap.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I had to zoom to see small picture with my Air I guess my eyes are getting old. :apple:

17. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

The Air, no doubt, is more easy on the eyes [ imo ]. Using the mini, I don't find myself zooming in at all when viewing landscape, but in portrait mode..maybe sometimes.

The rMini cannot be beat for the ultimate portability imo. I just bought the rMini [ TMO promo ] and am enjoying every bit of it w/o missing the Air.

18. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

I mostly use various apps on it, so no need to zoom. With Safari unable to keep even two tabs in memory, I leave web browsing to my Surface.

19. burne macrumors 6502

burne

I use Safari's reader a lot. My main problem is not font size but all the clutter around the main article.

20. swedefish macrumors 6502

I zoom in on scanned books so that the page fits the screen. On A4/Letter size documents I sometimes zoom depending on text size. I do not find this to be a problem. I prefer the lightness of the rMini which feels like a standard book over the heavier and bulkier Air.

21. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

I just use landscape which I prefer anyway when I am using any iPad. I love the size and weight of the retina iPad mini coming from a iPad 3 I will probably never go back to a full size iPad.

22. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I can completely relate to this. Before buying the Air, I borrowed a friend's rMini and found myself doing the same thing. The Air was the natural solution to my problem. But others have told me that they have no such problem and appear to be quite happy reading on the rMini.

23. leenak macrumors 68020

I just got mine a few days ago but I haven't used zoom yet. I imagine maybe on somethings I will though, like maps.

24. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Not even for text on pdf docs?

25. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Oy vey, it's not a question of people having good eyes or not. If people don't have good eyes they wear correctional glasses. I just hate when people bring up the "bad eyes" argument, it's just ignorance.