iPad mini Retina Mini daily use

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
In daily usage, how often do you zoom in to read things on a retina mini? With the non retina mini, some people zoomed in quite a bit to read A4 size documents or magazines. But what about with the retina mini compared to the air?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I found myself zooming in 90% of the time which is why I returned it and purchased an Air.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I have to zoom in portrait orientation almost all the time; unless the site has a mobile/ tablet version. Landscape orientation is much better and I don't have to zoom as much.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I found myself zooming in 90% of the time which is why I returned it and purchased an Air.

I persevered with the rMini for 3 days and returned it as I was doing the same and left with the iPad Air.

The extra real estate was appreciated for my poor old eyes.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Yes. You tend to zoom in a lot more than the bigger iPads.
I always use it in landscape mode, which is perfect for me.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
In daily usage, how often do you zoom in to read things on a retina mini? With the non retina mini, some people zoomed in quite a bit to read A4 size documents or magazines. But what about with the retina mini compared to the air?
Only by accident if I double tap on a spot. Guess my vision isn't as bad as my wife thinks it is.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
I zoom sometimes, most websites are ok, but cause zoom is so smooth it's not really a hassle.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I thought this would be an issue when I first got the mini, but I don't even give it a second thought anymore. If I need to zoom in, I just double click or flip into landscape mode. Most sites I can read just fine in portrait. Complete non-issue.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I don't need to zoom in much at all. I'm typing and reading this site now on my Mini. I di have one or two apps where the text is just so small and there is no way to adjust it in the app. I use those apps on the Air.

I'm happy I own both.

JonMPLS

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2010
MN
I zoom a lot, but I also zoom on my full sized iPads. Zooming is a way to read without being surrounded by flashing ads on both sides of the article.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
When I first got my mini I zoomed a lot but I've noticed I zoom way less now even in portrait. I think it just takes time to acclimate if you have good eyes. If I did have to zoom a lot still it probably wouldn't bother me because iOS has implemented zoom pretty well, especially with double tap.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
Colorado
The Air, no doubt, is more easy on the eyes [ imo ]. Using the mini, I don't find myself zooming in at all when viewing landscape, but in portrait mode..maybe sometimes.

The rMini cannot be beat for the ultimate portability imo. I just bought the rMini [ TMO promo ] and am enjoying every bit of it w/o missing the Air.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I zoom in on scanned books so that the page fits the screen. On A4/Letter size documents I sometimes zoom depending on text size. I do not find this to be a problem. I prefer the lightness of the rMini which feels like a standard book over the heavier and bulkier Air.

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I just use landscape which I prefer anyway when I am using any iPad. I love the size and weight of the retina iPad mini coming from a iPad 3 I will probably never go back to a full size iPad.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
I can completely relate to this. Before buying the Air, I borrowed a friend's rMini and found myself doing the same thing. The Air was the natural solution to my problem. But others have told me that they have no such problem and appear to be quite happy reading on the rMini.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I just got mine a few days ago but I haven't used zoom yet. I imagine maybe on somethings I will though, like maps.

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
When I first got my mini I zoomed a lot but I've noticed I zoom way less now even in portrait. I think it just takes time to acclimate if you have good eyes. If I did have to zoom a lot still it probably wouldn't bother me because iOS has implemented zoom pretty well, especially with double tap.
Oy vey, it's not a question of people having good eyes or not. If people don't have good eyes they wear correctional glasses. I just hate when people bring up the "bad eyes" argument, it's just ignorance.