iPad mini Retina mini replacement has warmer screen color

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MyAppleWorld, Jul 23, 2014.

1. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

Hmmm so Apple sent me a new iPad mini that I got last week because of wifi issues.

I immediately noticed the new iPad mini has a warmer color tone with whites.

So annoyed! Now I don't know which screen is correct but I kinda got used to and preferred the more grey/blue tone!

It's most noticeable with white backgrounds on websites and the safari address bar ui

Anyone?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry you don't like the tone on the replacement iPad, but I think tone variations like that are normal. Try not to think about it and it's likely your eyes will get used to the new tone.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The backlight LEDs can and do vary in color temp.

Trying to find another with a higher color temp may be troublesome.

:rolleyes:

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Variance is commonplace. It seems a lot of people prefer the cooler white but truth be told, a warmer light is more natural and considered by many to be more accurate - certainly from a visual perspective. The sun gives off a yellow light, not blue after all.
    You will likely adapt to it quickly and only really notice it if you use devices with a different warmth of screen. The most important thing is that the screen is uniform in appearance - if not then that will be much more distracting.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't be terribly concerned, there's always a variance in displays. If you're unhappy return it, I guess.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Or trade it. Blue screens encourage insomnia. Probably more than a few up laters who would jump at the chance for a warm hued screen.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

The only display panels that I can think of that are truly consistently good are the Sammy panels. All the other tablets are a total crap shoot. You might as well literally roll a pair of dice. You just never know what you will get. As Maflynn said if it bothers you get it exchanged.

Recently I tried several iPad Mini/rMini and each display was different. Some were warm, some were cool temp colors and there was one that was outright BAD.

I recently purchased an LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition and the display panel has slightly warm colors and a 1/4 of the way down it has a mild pinkish tint that is slightly noticeable. It's not worth returning cause I don't know if the replacement will be worse.

8. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Yup, Apple don't make their own screens and need to source from a few different manufacturers to keep up with demand. Stands to reason there will be variance. It is frustrating but at least Apple are pretty good with swapping out devices, giving full refunds within 14 days etc.

9. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

An option you have without trading involves jailbreaking the device then install an app called f.lux. The nice thing about this app is you can customize the display's color temp and even vary it through the day.

As an example, my iPhone is set to 5800K for night time use and 6500K for daytime. I skew more towards blueish tones for daytime, keep in mind the best "white" temp you're looking for is probably 6000K.

Anyway, you'll have to be comfortable with jailbreaking your device, but it may alleviate your issue with the current temperature of the screen.