iPad mini Retina Mini - Thin Screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jman13, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I love my retina Mini, which I've had for a month, but I have noticed that if I press hard at all in the center portion of the screen (which I don't do often, but it's happened on occasion), it will go crazy, causing color smearing and darkening around the point of pressure...much like you see if you accidentally push on your monitor screen or an LCD TV. I'm sure that's exactly what's happening, and the glass is flexing to contact the LCD, but I didn't have this on my 1st gen mini...is the glass that much thinner, or is the 1st gen bonded to the LCD or something else?

2. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

That was something I noticed right away with my 1st gen Mini, but my rMini doesn't exhibit this.... I just pressed on the center of its screen. :D

3. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

don't push so hard on it? lol

i've never had a situation like that happen and i've had every iPad that's been made

4. wmkim macrumors member

That happens on all LCD displays. Press the back of a laptop screen...or on the display on a calculator...same thing. Not a big deal for accidental/light pressure...but I would avoid situations where something is pressed against the screen...you never know...

5. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I had that issue a couple years ago with my iPad 2, and the Apple Store replaced it the second I demonstrated it to them. It has nothing to do with pressing it hard- a regular press in the center of the screen caused it for me.

Most laptop screens and calculator displays are plastic, therefore making this behavior acceptable on those devices. That said, the glass on the new iPads is so thin that it might just be acceptable on them as well. iPhones and previous iPads have never had this issue in large numbers.

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

for every day regular soft touches to move the screen, it doesn't happen. to the people who slam their fingers into the screen like they do on keyboards, then yes, it does happen.

7. rajpatel macrumors regular

Any number of things would happen if u abuse ur ipad.......it doesn't reflect on the company at all, just people's boredom and desire to complain

It's an LCD screen. Why in the world wouldn't it exhibit such behavior?

8. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

True- for most people on most devices, it doesn't happen. But I really don't see how you can make a blanket statement like that. Some devices have strange pressure points in the glass; it's not a huge issue, just a fact of life. On those devices, soft touches will cause the temporary screen distortion.

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

bc i see how people abuse their devices on a daily basis. I have friends come over and use my laptop and i have to tell them to just type normal bc they are slamming their fingers in the keys with every letter. Same goes on ipads.

my brother is a user like that and wonders why keyboard on his laptop quit working on the enter button. he would slam the button anytime he used it.

"but I have noticed that if I press hard at all in the center portion of the screen (which I don't do often, but it's happened on occasion)"

i've used iPad since the 1st one came out and can't ever recall pressing hard in the middle of the screen for any reason?

10. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

You're exactly right, and I've also seen people slam their fingers on the screen so hard that I cringe. But that's not the issue here. It's that some displays can't even handle normal taps without showing slight distortion. I had one of those displays on an iPad 2, and the pattern of distortion was different from a normal display. Pressing in the center at any strength would never cause a problem, but light presses in two of the corners would cause the distortion. Strange, but Apple replaced it.

The iPad mini and iPad Air have thinner screens than any previous iPad, so this kind of distortion is more likely to occur (closer to the center of the screen, of course). I certainly think that people who tap their screens harder than they should will notice more "give" on the new iPad screens. But that's the compromise for having a thinner device, and most people will never experience that issue. Certainly an acceptable tradeoff.

11. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I've never seen an issue like that and I certainly wouldn't press hard enough to see if it does it. Maybe your issue has to do with it not put together right. I'd exchange it if possible, unless it doesn't bother you a lot.

12. v0lume4, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

This has happened to me before on my iPad 2 a time or two. It's nothing out of the ordinary if you ask me. Like, of course the glass is going to bend and eventually touch the LCD panel if it by chance gets pressed hard enough. No biggie.

Edit:
    If it's happening and you're not pushing very hard at all, you may have a problem.