All iPads Retina Mini vs Thinner iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zooby, May 25, 2013.

?

Retina Mini vs Thinner iPad?

1. Retina Mini

51 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Thinner iPad

62 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. zooby, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a full-sized could be as thin as a mini, but it'll never be as light. mini for me.

3. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Ideally I'd like a thin LARGER iPad. About 15" maybe.

Voted thin iPad.

4. MindsEye macrumors regular

I don't think i could care less about a thinner iPad, now lighter is a whole other ball game.

Still debating on which one to get. A retina mini with atleast A6X processor would be incredibly tempting and having tried the regular mini on quite a few occasions, i do like its weight and the way its less conspicuous.

On the other hand an iPad that sheds its weight by a third and features a quad core CPU and possibly 2GB RAM and the next gen Powervr GPU would also be hard to pass over too. Its all going to come down to specs for me.

5. puma1552 macrumors 601

If the iPad 5 sheds it's borders and weight, while having the newset tech inside it vs the mini which will be a generation behind in processor, etc., then I see no reason to buy a mini.

If the iPad 5 gets close to the mini in weight and size and is more powerful while delivering the full size experience, the mini seems like a horrible buy, retina or not IMO.

6. Xusernamex macrumors newbie

Both

I've used both iPad and the Mini. I prefer the Mini when travelling, but iPad at home. Simple as that

7. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

8. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

If thinner = lighter, then I would definitely be down for that!

9. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Ipad

Make it thin as the mini and we have a deal.

The mini is just too small of a screen size for me

10. nocakeforyou macrumors newbie

I have an iPad 2 and one of my absolute favorite things about it is how thin it is. Voted thinner ipad.

11. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Definitely the thinner iPad. The screen on the mini is too small for me even if it gets retina. I have a Kindle Fire and the the text is pretty sharp, but I don't like the smaller screen for anything but reading.

12. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Retina mini is more useful then a 9.7" full size iPad. It just too, too big. I would pay more for a mini retina then a ipad 5 retina.

I just hoping it comes in 128GB storage too! I budgeting around $1,400 for it and all the accessories that go with it! It near the price of a MacBook Pro Retina!

13. thehustleman macrumors 65816

I disagree.

Gaming on the full size or doing anything else is nicer with a big screen

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'd like a retina mini as long as it doesn't gain any weight or thickness. Otherwise, add a faster processor w/ more RAM and leave the screen as-is.

15. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I'd take a lighter same screen-size iPad over the mini any day.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I voted for thinner, assuming it means lighter. I find the touch targets on mini a little too small to be comfortable to use. I know the larger iPad will be always heavier than a mini, but for me, the larger screen size works better.

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It will be very interesting how Apple handles these two forthcoming devices.

They never went to two different ipads before and cannibalization probably shocked them but to tell the truth if the rumors about the weight of the 5 are true, I really see no reason for a Mini 2 for myself personally. The extra screen size over the new Mini will be welcomed by me so long as the weight is less notable versus the 4 holding it for a reasonable amount of time to read, etc.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple has had different sized iPods for years so they are aware of cannibalization from smaller, cheaper versions of the same. Plus there is no way apple didn't have planned scenarios for the different levels of mini popularity.

19. kaielement macrumors 65816

Love the larger screen manly I love it to watch movies.

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

21. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. I was a big mini fan until recently when I picked up my ipad 3 again, which had been just sitting around gathering dust. The retina was of course gorgeous and a joy to use. Extra RAM was noticeable as well. But the biggest thing that hit me is that I realized I want a bigger screen. My iPhone handles all my portability needs. When I want to sit and read or watch a movie, bigger is better. Unfortunately, the ipad 3 is just a smidge too heavy to use comfortably over time. But cut it down to around a pound and I'm a very happy camper.

22. AppleRobert macrumors 603

So what was the plan now that the Mini crushed the larger iPads?

Put a large storage ipad4? Seems like Apple is sleeping at the wheel. I think plenty of us feel they were caught off guard.

23. darngooddesign, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

It remains to be seen if the Mini is popular due to its size or due to its novelty; that will take several generations to determine. I for one got the Mini due to the novelty of its size, I really enjoyed my 2 so I wanted to see if I'd enjoy the Mini more; maybe next I'll upgrade back to the full iPad and its wonderful big screen if my Mini doesn't prove to be fundamentally easier to bring with me. My Mini in its case only fits in some of my pockets, not all of them, and many times I have a bag with me anyway.

Apple will keep increasing the specs of both iPads, but the full one will always appeal to people who want/need the bigger, more powerful device. There are only so many physical things that can be done to the iPad, as opposed to changes in the OS.

24. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

Anything that fits perfectly in one hand is perfect for me. Mini it is.

Unless you are a giant or happen to have giant hands.

25. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Mini

I have an iPad 3 and a mini. If we get a retina option in the autumn, I'll likely go 64GB with SIM and sell the other two.