retina MPB battery lifespan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sacricide, Jun 17, 2012.

1. sacricide macrumors newbie

I may want to opt for a retina model over the regular 15 inch Mbp with updated screen. Just to have a super thin sleek device. But my biggest concern is I know I'll keep it for a long time. 4 years or more who knows. And with the battery I wonder how problematic it would be. Anyone have any prediction on how the battery health would be after this long??

2. Rmafive macrumors 6502

It costs $199 to replace the battery down the road, so if it ever gets old you can replace it for a reasonable price. I hear that they last for quite a while though.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

They claim 1000 cycles => 80% capacity.

So if you went through a charge a day, it should be performing still fine 3 years down the line. How it depreciates after that I don't know (it's probably not a linear decrease).

----------

$199 is far froma reasonable price for a battery. You sound like you work for Apple, or are incredibly wealthy.

4. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I feel that it is reasonable for the battery in the computer. You should never need to replace the battery. Given that it is a $2100+ computer you should be able to afford a $200 battery if you have to!

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Just because you can afford something, doesn't make it worth that. Buying a £1800 machine, one should expect Apple to be even more reasonable with replacement parts. But yeah, I expect a battery to last longer than I will use the pc

6. Sheppard macrumors member

Not that bad..

For us brits, the cost for a replacement is around £130. My Sony Vaio (as of two weeks - shelved) battery was £120. We have fairly high tax of course but this replacement will have to be done by Apple as its glued in so labour etc.

Seems to me like a good price IMO.

7. sacricide thread starter macrumors newbie

But After 4-5 years the laptops value will have diminished enough. to where the $200 battery replacement wouldn't be worth it anymore?? 200 in 5 years hypothetically might be too much to invest.

I mean would you opt to just buy a new computer at that point? What's the value of a 5 year old mac end up being vs original paid purchase price?

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

What's 20 cents a day for 3 years? Answer, enough for a battery replacement + tax. Since the batteries last 1000 cycles, you'll get at minimum 3 years. So, I wonder why you think 20 cents a day saving is considered wealthy...

----------

Bought my MBP in 2007 for about 2k. Current selling price on Amazon is 440$, though I have more RAM and a bigger and faster HD in it, so maybe a little more. That gives you an idea what the values look like.

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Except, it's not really "20¢ a day" its $200 all at once when it needs replacing.

10. nars1l macrumors newbie

Solution:

[​IMG]

11. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Dam you beat me to it