Retina, No Retina or Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrApples, Jul 1, 2013.

1. MrApples macrumors newbie

I've been a Windows user my whole life and am now making the switch to Mac (long story).

I'm going for the Macbook Pro 13inch and I need help making a decision. Here are my 3 options:

1. Regular Macbook Pro. The only thing making me want this is the fact that it has an optical drive and an ethernet port; both of which I use on my current laptop. I'm aware you can buy an external optical drive and a usb-ethernet converter but it would be nice to have it all in one machine.

2. Macbook Pro with retina. Only thing lacking is no optical drive or ethernet port. If I go for option one I'll be upgrading it to SSD and they both end up costing roughly the same so price isn't too much of an issue. Having to buy externals isn't the end of the world so I'd probably pick this over option 1.

3. There's rumours of a new set of Macbook Pro's being released with the new Haswell chips. This would probably mean the end for the original pro's and the price of retina's being slightly reduced(?). The only problem with waiting is that I need the laptop before uni starts again (late September) so I'm a bit short on time. Maybe Apple will release the new stuff in the 'back-to-school' period? Is the Haswell chip even worth waiting for? I probably wouldn't notice any performance improvements because I'm not doing any editing or programming but I could definitely do with long battery life.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the 15" rMBP and use the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter. Its ok, but it doesn't click in like the cat 5 cable. That is thunderbolt sits in the port by friction it doesn't easily fall out but its been knocked out on occasion.

I have little use for optical drives so that was a non factor in my choices.

The non retina model has other advantages, you can easily upgrade the storage, ram and if you so desire replace the optical drive for another hard drive (or SSD).

As for waiting, the Haswell based laptops should be hitting sooner then later and you'll get better battery a bit more CPU performance and the GPU should be better as well. If you can wait, then that's your best bet imo

3. MrApples thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Just a few more questions:

Will the original Pro still be easy to upgrade after it eventually gets discontinued? Not sure if Apple carry on caring about their old products; some companies definitely don't.

When configuring the original Pro on their website (uk) there only seams to be an option to upgrade the hard drive (which I would make SSD); there is no option for RAM. Would I be able to configure in the Apple Store or is it just online?

This is probably a matter of opinion and I haven't formed mine yet so in your opinion is it worth sacrificing the optical drive and ethernet port for the retina display? Given that I don't use either too much but I'd definitely need externals for some use. Is the retina display that good?

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

If September is your time frame, give it 2 more months of waiting (until the end of august) before you buy.

5. gabberkooij macrumors newbie

Haswell is not just a simple processor upgrade. So i expect it not before october. It will likely be combined with thunderbolt 2. And maybe Maverick.
    Just my quess......

Personally i'm going for a Air 13" or a maxed rMBP 15" And i want my first Mac before August. So my main concern is the dispay. Can I develop GUI's on a small display or not ? So far I always liked to have as much as possible information on my screen...

6. fratey macrumors regular

A switch from a cheap Windows computer to 13" classic Macbook isn't an upgrade.

If you can wait for Haswell, wait for Haswell – else, just get a refurb 13" Retina MBP and smile.

7. sophiadales macrumors newbie

mac book pro retina 13 inch best shut ; )

8. appleisking, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

appleisking macrumors 6502a

Well, the classic pro will be continued to be supported for a long time, and if you mean os upgrades the 2012 model will be able to keep up with the new oses at least until 2017. As far as physically upgrading, custom orders are only online as far as I know. However, it would be much cheaper if you just buy your own RAM and do it yourself. Now as for your indecision, what is more important to you? The retina display or the ethernet/drive. Answer that and go as follows. Retina isn't all it is cut out to be, get what you need not what you can have. My suggestion: definitely wait until Haswell because retina is still way overpriced and ud be ripped off getting it now. The classic doesn't look like it will be getting cheaper anytime soon. If you need a laptop absolutely right now, get the classic, retina's not worth that extra price tag. If you can wait, the benefits of retina over non-retina is (display quality, haswell battery life, more RAM right off the bat, an SSD right off the bat, thinner form factor). Non-retina gives you a lower price, more connection options, and more upgradeability, and will not be obsolete anytime soon either. compare those trade-offs. I don't think u need to get retina simply becuz its retina.
    On a side note. Consider the macbook air. If you're just using it for university stuff, the air is more than capable.

9. appleisking macrumors 6502a

WTH. Yea it is... The 13inch classic is iconic, and college kids are still buying more of them than anything else. 13 inch retina is barely a step up, not much more of an upgrade than the classic.

10. Serban Suspended

Hello,
    in you case the choice is easy. Wait like somebody said until late august.
    The haswell in this time i mean 1 July, i think is no brainer to wait until you need one. Yes the retina will not drop the price with more than 100$ this year at least, but with new upgrade you will get better experience, no lag, a little better cpu, better graphic card, better wifi ac (the future for next 5-10 years), better battery life a true all day life. I am waiting too for the retina upgrade since may.

11. MrApples thread starter macrumors newbie

So no one has any idea when the Haswell Pro will be released? Based on the replies I'll probably just wait. Would be a bit annoying if it gets to the end of August and it's still not out though.

I probably wouldn't buy my own components and self-install them so I'm not too fussed about how upgradeable it is. 8gb ram and 256 maybe 512gb SSD should be enough for me.

I basically just want a laptop that's portable, powerful enough for my needs (which either Mac is) and has good battery life. The most intense thing I'd do with it is some minor programming and everything else is standard; internet, documents, watching films etc..

Macs have a good battery life anyway but if Haswell improves it even more then It'd be worth the wait.

12. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Nope. Apple has never given us a heads up on their future releases. We think it's coming, but that's about it. Just have to wait it out with the rest of use.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^ What he said.

Everyone was expecting to see the new laptops during WWDC, Apple's developer conference in June, that never occurred so now we're all guessing :)

14. foxf8 macrumors member

iv been a windows user all my life as well just got the rMBP 15 inch i upgraded the ram to 16gb and im very happy with it. buts it first time apple actually released good hardware worth your money in my opion. i7 quad core (the most expensive verison of i7 has great features), ssd, 16gb ram, 650m 1gb video ram its a pretty nice hardware list. tho the graphic card is out of date a tad but i play todays games no problem and i think it well do just fine for at lest 3-4 years down the road gaming wise but everything else easy 6-7 years

15. Serban Suspended

at WWDC apple bring us so many... iOS and Maveriks and macbook airs. What more do you want? MBP , mac pro and iPhone ipad and over for this year no more keynotes :)). I think will be 2 more keynotes this year. September for sure is dedicated for iphone+ipod and one more for iPads and macpros

16. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Not to mention the New Wifi technology and the improved SSD and god knows what else

17. hummel003 macrumors newbie

you can buy a macbook now, but how stupid will you feel if a week later the new ones are announced? i would wait. (i am also waiting for the retina upgrade)

18. Serban Suspended

we all waiting.. at least for that battery life

19. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Yeah, well, if you get the classic and install an SSD, you are paying more for a heavier machine with a inferior display and less ram. And speakers that aren't nearly as loud but they do have more bass. For me it's a no brainer, gotta go retina. Get the 2nd generation of new technology instead of the last generation of old technology.

20. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

If you go Haswell do yourself a favor and max out the Ram. I think the 13" only goes to 8 but if the new ones go to 16 then do it. You might not need it now but you will likely need it in the future as with each new operating system your machine will require more and more

21. fratey macrumors regular

Whatever you say. However, I can't stand a 2013 computer that takes three times as long as my 2006 Thinkpad to boot or having a headache-inducing monitor with roughly half the resolution of your average smartphone.

Of course, everyone has different requirements. For a computer in this price class, I find the above unacceptable.

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

The easy answer for OP is to buy non retina MBP because he/she obvious wants optical and ethernet. :apple: