Retina-optimized Software

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yebubbleman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Is there a list that is both comprehensive AND regularly maintained (i.e. updated often) of software that is optimized for Macs with retina displays (which I understand is limited to the Mid 2012 [15"], Late 2012 [13"], Early 2013 and now Late 2013 MacBook Pros with retina)? I'm still plenty happy with my non-retina Mid 2012 Ivy Bridge 15" MacBook Pro, but I'm pretty sure that the 15" MacBook Pro is the Mac that I'll be subscribing to as my primary machine for the next few Macs that I own over the next long haul.

While there are surely substantially more retina-optimized software titles out there than there were this time last year, I'm wondering what titles have made the jump as well as what software I will need to eventually update (assuming my current versions are not retina-optimized).

I'm assuming that 90% of Adobe CS6 apps are not retina-optimized and that, for the most part, to enjoy any Adobe stuff on a retina MacBook Pro, I'll need to suck it up and deal with the BS of an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription of some sort. I'm also assuming that Valve (as well as many of the other developers) hasn't been as prompt as Blizzard has in updating its games; last I checked, Portal 1 was barely playable on a retina and I'm assuming the same goes with Portal 2 and all of the other Source-engine games. But I do not know if any of this is still true. If I could be pointed in the right direction of such a list, that would be awesome, thanks! :)

Obviously, when moving to a retina Mac of any sort from a non-retina, that's probably where I part ways with Final Cut Pro 7 and the rest of Final Cut Studio 3 and I'm fully accepting of that. Still though, for all other titles, it'd be handy to know what to expect when it comes time to dealing with software titles and whether or not they look as they should on these machines.

2. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

3. bagelche, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

A quick googling came up with retinamacapps.com/.

I don't know how often it's updated, but I see CS6 apps listed, so you're in luck (and I will be in about a week!).