Retina or Non Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aragorn234, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Aragorn234 macrumors member

Hi Guys, really finding it difficult to decide on making the final plunge to do away with my Windows Machines and going totally mac.

Looking at 15 inch MBP or RMBP.
    What I would like to know (cant find the answers). What is the GPU performance difference between the MBP and RMBP.

I play Diablo 3 and BF3. I can only assume that the additional pixels that need to be drawn by the GPU regardless of resolution would cause lower FPS on the retina display.

I know D3 plays well on RMBP but very little info on BF3. I would really like to know how well these games perform on a 15 MBP?

Can anyone help?

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

You can always just turn the resolution down to 1440x900 (standard, non retina res) for your games on the RMBP. Since the RMBP and MBP have the same GPU, games will likely run at an extremely similar FPS when at the same resolution.

3. Aragorn234 thread starter macrumors member

I see that you can set the resolution to whatever setting you want. However the system still needs to draw all those extra pixels no matter what the game resolution is.

Would this not have some impact on the GPU?

4. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Very good point, but I don't think that running the same resolution stresses the GPU any more. GPU is still processing the same video signal; screen is displaying the same number of pixels, but pixels are bigger (4:1). Pretty sure the extra need to drive those pixels is just being drawn from the battery, which is compensated for by being much larger and more capable.

5. Aragorn234 thread starter macrumors member

OK, so performance will be similar on both the MBP and RMBP.
    I would like to know if there is may BF3 bench marks. I have seen 1 on youtube and it seems to run pretty good.

As much as I would like the RMBP I am lean toward the standard 15 inch with an upgrade to 7200RPM drive and the Hi Def anti glare display.

WOuld look at some time to get an Optibay solution and put in an SSD.