retina or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tim9724, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Tim9724 macrumors member

Can you guys help me decide on what computer to get either a retina with 8 gb of RAM, 2.6 processor and a 256 gb hard drive or, a normal macbook pro with 8 gb of RAM, 2.6 processor and 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm. i will have a max of 38 gb in device backups, around 30gb in games, i like to shoot an edit videos.

-Thanks!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Retina 2.3/16/256

Spend the money on 16gb ram not the 2.6 CPU

3. barbz41086 macrumors member

I've got a retina, don't seem to have all the problems that are getting listed on this forum. Apart from a dead pixel, they replaced at my place purchase on the spot.

As far as im concerned it's the best mac/pc i've had.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Same here. No issues at all. Love mine.

5. Dahkot macrumors member

Also it's going to really depend on your needs overall.

I loved the Retina screen , but cannot , period cannot do without the ethernet / firewire / superdrive.

My cmbp comes in tomorrow (lower end 15" model - taking out the 500 gb internal 5400 drive and using in enclosure for backup , putting in 750 gb 7200 hybrid drive on sale at amazon for 132 (32 gb flash on board ) and bumping to 16gb ram.

I've got to connect to various devices at times through ethernet only be it required interface wise or simply transferring huge VM's from fusion and VMware and wireless doesn't cut it , at the same time often installing something shipped from a vendor on a DVD , combined with VM's and iso on external firewire drives I need. I am not up for three dongling it with a superdrive on one while juggling in a server room or phone closet so as much as I liked the retina screen , the interfaces are needed more for work.

My ideal Macbook pro would be a cmbp body with the retina screen (and I've got 3-4 co workers who are engineers who would pick it up in a heartbeat if made).

So if you don't need the ethernet/firewire/superdrive that makes it easier , but there are plenty of us who need all that daily and often at the same time so it would be a pain to have to adapter it all the time for them.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

People use discs daily? Blatant lies.