Retina Owners who upgraded from MBA 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xfs, Jul 19, 2012.

1. xfs macrumors member

This question is for people who have upgraded to MBP-r from MBA.
    Is the added footprint of the retina (size, less portability) worth the added performance boost and retina screen?

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yes and no.

It's not really a huge difference - fits pretty much in any kind of bag that would hold an MBA, not hugely heavier. Can still carry it in one hand and type with the other if necessary.

But it's not as amazing. So I sold one of my two iPads and ordered an MBA 11, so I'll have that for situations where portability and lightness is a huge advantage. And the MBA 11 will be more powerful than the 13 it replaced.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Hey, I upgraded my 2011 13"air to the new rMBP and can honestly say I am very happy. However, there is a huge difference. For home use it is fine because the laptop is sat on your desk, but when moving it around the added weight is noticeable, it also feels less personal when using it in public, (at uni for example). If you are someone that likes to use their laptop on the top of their lap, then I could see it being a problem, thankfully I am not one of those people so the transition has been perfect for me. I love the extra power, RAM, screen real estate, oh yeah and the display too!

Are you thinking about making the jump?

4. nataliamck macrumors 6502

I went from MBA 13" to Retina.

There is a big difference in the size and weight. However, I never bring my laptop out of the house so I didn't mind the increase in size.

I think people who were so used to carrying the 13" MBA everywhere with them will really notice the difference.

It's not like you'll struggle to carry it or anything. But yes, I can feel the difference.

5. wanton789 macrumors newbie

You don't bring your laptops out of the house.. why do you have laptops?!

6. nataliamck macrumors 6502

Well I have one laptop. Not several.

And I have a computer in work... so I don't need to carry my laptop with me.

7. AirThis macrumors 6502a

8. nataliamck macrumors 6502

9. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I upgraded from a 13" MBA to the rMBP, and I had them side-by-side migrating to the new machine. The display of the retina sold me: I have no regrets switching. The additional size and weight don't bother me at all.

10. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Initially I bought the 13 Air after WWDC, tried every trick in the book as the font size was really uncomfortable for my eyes. I have been wearing glasses for a long time, enjoy reading, be it on the retina iPad or the good old books. Exchanged the Air for baseline retina Mac and it is god send for my eyes. So just for my eyes sake I went this route and am very content and happy with my decision. Not saying Air is bad, but for me personally retina Mac seems a whole lot better. Will stay home most of the time so not concerned about the footprint. My wife has 20/20 eyesight, she loves her 13 Air.

11. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I didn't have a 2011 MBA, but I initially bought a 2012 13" MBA and a week later I found 1 rMBP in stock at my local Best Buy. Since they price matched it for $1,999. I used them both for another 5 days or so. The new MBP is very very thin when compared to the MBA. Here's an image I took of them back to back. My size comparison.

My thought behind it was, when comparing the 2. For only slightly more weight, and a little extra width.. you are getting a way bigger screen size, *extremely* better viewing angles (<3 IPS), a much better color gamut, 2 microphones, better speakers, an extra Thunderbolt port, an HDMI port, and the base model already comes with a 256Gb SSD, 8Gb of RAM, not to mention the more powerful Quad-core i7, and the dedicated graphics card.

Needless to say, I returned the MBA, and that was over 3 weeks ago. Still loving this rMBP.

12. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Exactly my thoughts, its like I have a Twin.

13. leenak macrumors 68020

Generally, my laptops don't leave the house. I don't like sitting at a desk and want to be able to do work/leisure on a computer anywhere in the house. I have a work laptop so my rMBP is a personal system for personal projects.

Even so, if my needs were a bit simpler than what is offered in the 15" MBP/rMBP offer, then I would've gotten a MBA 13".

14. jeffg819 macrumors regular

Actually been traveling with my rMBP and I really don't notice the extra weight. That being said, it is a little harder to pull out, and takes up more space in the buckets, when I get to the TSA screening part of the trip.

Out of 10 days, I miss the MBA 2, feel good about getting the rMBA 8.