Retina Performance on El Capitan

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by DavidBlack, Jun 8, 2015.

1. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

I am waiting for the Dev Centre to go back online. When it does I will report the overall performance I am seeing on my rMBP 13" 2015

2. leventozler macrumors 6502

3. DavidBlack thread starter macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

4. pmasters macrumors member

I can login to my developer account with no problem and I see 10.11 Pre-release listed but no download link. Since my developer account is due to expire July 8, is this possibly preventing me from downloading?

5. leventozler macrumors 6502

Try https://developer.apple.com/membercenter/index.action first, there is a new agreement to sign.

6. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Looking forward to the review. Please do a performance comparison against Mavericks and Yosemite. If anyone with a retina MacBook Pro with HD 4000 could do one as well that would be greatly appreciated.

7. DavidBlack thread starter macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

I will do those by the end of the week. However, right now my focus is on El Capitan

8. pmasters macrumors member

9. jonobin macrumors regular

please post updates on graphics performance as soon as you can :D

10. StudyFlo macrumors member

StudyFlo

Does anyone have a late 2013 rmbp 13"? Wondering if those freakin' UI lags are away now ...

11. joeszef1 macrumors member

joeszef1

I also have the rMBP 13" Early 2015, hope you can do a thorough review of the new OS X. Perhaps focus on the performance and UI fluidity.

12. umzyi macrumors regular

umzyi

I have late 2013 rMBP with Iris Pro. I am seeing very smoothness in the animations. There are some glitches but I am sure they will get fixed over coming months.

13. SG- macrumors regular

SG-

I have a 2015 13" rMBP, I also have the scaling changed 1 notch over to give me a higher resolution. the graphics performance and rendering of things seem much faster over 10.10 and even having my Applications folder in Folder/List mode used to have a slow animation just scrolling through it all is now smooth.

14. MikhailT macrumors 601

Everything is definitely smooth as heck on El Cap.

I think the move to Metal to simplify everything is helping them greatly.

15. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

It's much much better. Mission Control is no longer a total cluster like it currently is in Yosemite. My go to test for lag is sticking the Application folder in the dock, and either opening in Grid view or scrolling in list view. Both were terrible on my mid-2012 15" rMBP but improved in El Capitan.

16. Cardsnk macrumors regular

Also looking for this :)

17. jonobin macrumors regular

can you post a little video showing the fps? :)

[quartz debug]

18. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

I'm going to install today. My Yosemite UI lag is intermittent most of the time, but very consistent when driving multiple monitors. I always chalked that up to the integrated graphics. I'll report back later in the weekend to let you know.

19. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

To me the intermittent lag felt like it was due to low power states of the CPU. I'm very curious to hear of your findings, hopefully 10.11 will be lag free.

20. lattethan macrumors newbie

lattethan

I have the Mid-2014 13" rMBP and all the weird UI lag I noticed on Yosemite has gone away for me...

21. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Its still not as good as Mavericks though, no where near it.

22. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

In my first hour of running El Cap and it does feel very smooth. Haven't hooked up my external monitors yet but already noticed the fluid animations. Have to say though, not in love with the look of San Francisco font everywhere. I'm guessing I'll get used to it with time. Just looks a little childish in certain places. I do like it on the Watch and iPad so far.

23. MikhailT macrumors 601

I get the feeling it's not the same font everywhere or they're not consistent with the weight/spacing. It is a mess at the moment. Hopefully, they'll improve this in the next beta.

24. cvda macrumors newbie

cvda

do it, hook up your external monitors and try, please :) saw a video that mission control is now very smooth on the 15" one. But 13" is more interesting for me :D

25. HellBlaze macrumors newbie

I hooked up my 13" mid-2014 base rMBP on two full HD monitors and it's buttery smooth... No worries mate.