Retina Pro Storage Issues

LiamJ27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Hey guys,

I've had my macbook only three days now and the only thing I've transferred over is my music. However, when I go into Storage, I see this:

For the life of me, I can't work out where the movies are coming from? Let alone the pictures (I have 0 video files and 1 picture).

Is something wrong with the mac?

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Which OS X do you have installed. This was normal with Yosemite Public Beta 1 and 2 but some were fixed with PB 3 and PB 4

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Check your iTunes movies/episodes section? iTunes may have automatically downloaded them.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Strange, I would download DaisyDisk or a similar app that will let you scan you drive and see what is taking up space. It will be easier to troubleshoot once you know what is actually taking up the space.

LiamJ27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Which OS X do you have installed. This was normal with Yosemite Public Beta 1 and 2 but some were fixed with PB 3 and PB 4
Mavericks, fully updated too.

----------

Check your iTunes movies/episodes section? iTunes may have automatically downloaded them.
There's no films or episodes in my iTunes or my computer. I have 1.5GB of music videos only.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
What about iphone backups

Have you got any iphone ipad back ups to take into account they can build up over time.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey guys,

I've had my macbook only three days now and the only thing I've transferred over is my music. However, when I go into Storage, I see this:

For the life of me, I can't work out where the movies are coming from? Let alone the pictures (I have 0 video files and 1 picture).

Is something wrong with the mac?

The OS does include some small videos, but they total less than 1GB.

Sometimes the Spotlight index gets corrupted and will cause that storage graphic to be wrong.

Try running the command below in Terminal then wait while Spotlight reindexes and once the reindex is done check the graphic again.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
There's no films or episodes in my iTunes or my computer. I have 1.5GB of music videos only.
Music videos do count as videos. Also, I'd check all the folders in your ~/<User name> (or known as the Home Folder).

If not use Daisy Chain or a free scanner disk on the Mac App store.