Retina Pro Student Discount Price? (UK)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InfernoUk, Jun 19, 2012.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

hey guys

any uk student have any idea what the price of the base retina macbook is?

Im not at uni so cant work out the price they go for, isn't it something like 8% ?

Thanks guys!

2. Chic0 macrumors 6502

3. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Take 14% off and you have your discount price!

4. salmoally macrumors regular

There's links to the HE store if you search the web where you can order from and get the discount.

5. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome thanks for that.

Thanks for the other replies guys i had some trouble getting onto it though! i always order over the phone. Is there a way I can order with my full uni discount online? It always tells me i need to be on my uni network which i cant be as im done for the year now.

6. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000737

Change the last 3 digits to your university. They go up in alphabetical order so you can cycle through them.

7. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

do they not check the uni? I legit go to Bournemouth uni.

Also i already bought a mac for my dad on student earlier this academic year, will they check and stop me buying a 2nd? I can always run it through a friend who dosent buy apple so not a big problem.

8. Haarith :) macrumors member

you have to be logged onto your unis wifi or any form of internet access when purchasing the retina macbook pro online i think.

9. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

They say they do random checks on student orders so that's why I would recommend cycling through the last 3 digits on the URL to find Bournemouth just in case they check which would be very unlucky. But it is something like 1/1000 and considering you're an actual student you will be fine. I think you will be fine over buying another. I think it is 2 Macs per year and even then I doubt they will check (unless it is done automatically). It's worth a try anyway, the worst that can happen is you get your order cancelled and you have to use your friend.

Here is the Bournemouth link btw: http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000623

10. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

cheers, yea ill use that bournemouth link to order. Its 1 mac per year as I called them to check. I can just get a class mate to order it for me though so legit checking isnt an issue, just harder to make it up over the phone compared to online!

Cheers guys.

11. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

Do you think they'd do that? And potentially lose a sale? Or do you think (as I suspect) they'd simply turn a blind eye?

Really just curious.

12. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

I can't see anything happening over it, its probably just there to try and prevent people from mass ordering.

13. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a list of the 3 digits for unis? Just encase a friend from a diff uni orders it for me, could be there for hours guessing 3 digit combos

14. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Not the brightest idea in the world to post the off campus links on a public forum. Please us a little sense and PM them, this loophole has been left open for years, if people hammer it then they will close the door for sure.

15. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

i doubt apple are stupid enough not to realise...

16. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Of course they realise, and the number of people that use the links is relatively small in the grand scheme of things. But posting them on public forums, especially on one as busy as this can make number using the link spike big time. After all at no point are you ever asked to prove you are a student, and who doesn't like the idea of 13-15% off their mac?

17. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont think its anything your going to need to worry about it, this probably isnt the first thread on the forum about it and im sure google would be peoples first stop for it

18. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

It has been posted on this forum countless times. It's no different if I explained how to do it or linked it. Its been a loophole for years and I doubt Apple are going to change specifically. The only time it will be changed is the next time rhey redesign the store. Nothing to stop any non student walking into the library of their local university and buying online there with a laptop.

Tbh I think it's a benefit for Apple which is why they turn a blind eye for it. Apple make huge product margins and there are no doubt lots of examples where non students have bought a mac where they wouldn't if it wasn't for the discount. It's the case with me (although I am a student) I can only buy the MBPR with the discount as I couldn't justify £1799 on a laptop. So that's a bigger profit for Apple either way.

I doubt Apple are going to change it unless it happens at a huge widespread institutionalised level, and posting it on a niche mac enthusiast forum is going to do that.

19. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

yea im of the same opinion, also lol at the people exploiting it getting angry at legit students. we actually need these discounts...

20. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

There isn't but it doesn't take long. Takes about 5 minutes 737 is N so you just work up and down from that. All in alphabetical order.

And yeah I know. Even if they close the loophole the discount will still be available, Apple were the ones who won the HE contract to offer.

21. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

ah right alphabetical. cheers for the help guys!