Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
:mad::mad: Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with these machines. Long time Apple fanboy here. I'm so tired of this. I have a 16 GB, 512 GB 2.7 GHz early 2013 Retina.

Over the past 3 months, I am now on my THIRD (3) rMBP. All three suffer from the same problems: scroll lag; graphics tearing; and problems when typing text into Safari or address bar. One lasted a month before exhibiting these symptoms; the other two did this right out of the box. NO programs/data were carried over from previous machines. Crispy fresh....FAILURES.

Images in Facebook for example, will flicker, layover on top of others, slice in half or have other wacky image distortions. Sometimes these resolve after a few seconds, and many times they do not.

As you type into almost any text window in Safari, many times the cursor will hop around, disappear, or show up at the wrong place in the word. Another fun thing is that as you type a word, say, "America", the text box (e.g. Google search box) will only display "Ameri". The "ca" is simply missing, although the cursor flickers at the end of the "America" and another static cursor will display after the "i".

The problems occur in Safari. I am not running ANY other programs. A system this pricey should NOT have these issues. I should not have to download Webkit to seek resolution.

Tell me I'm not alone. I'm one more replacement unit away from leaving the Apple family.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
:mad::mad: Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with these machines. Long time Apple fanboy here. I'm so tired of this. I have a 16 GB, 512 GB 2.7 GHz early 2013 Retina.

Over the past 3 months, I am now on my THIRD (3) rMBP. All three suffer from the same problems: scroll lag; graphics tearing; and problems when typing text into Safari or address bar. One lasted a month before exhibiting these symptoms; the other two did this right out of the box. NO programs/data were carried over from previous machines. Crispy fresh....FAILURES.

Images in Facebook for example, will flicker, layover on top of others, slice in half or have other wacky image distortions. Sometimes these resolve after a few seconds, and many times they do not.

As you type into almost any text window in Safari, many times the cursor will hop around, disappear, or show up at the wrong place in the word. Another fun thing is that as you type a word, say, "America", the text box (e.g. Google search box) will only display "Ameri". The "ca" is simply missing, although the cursor flickers at the end of the "America" and another static cursor will display after the "i".

The problems occur in Safari. I am not running ANY other programs. A system this pricey should NOT have these issues. I should not have to download Webkit to seek resolution.

Tell me I'm not alone. I'm one more replacement unit away from leaving the Apple family.

It sounds like the problem is Safari and not necessarily your machine. Trying switching to Firefox and/or Chrome and see if the problem still persists.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
You should see what firefox does with retina. First they had spotty performance, then they added it. Then, they disabled it. Then, they enabled it, but sometimes dropdown lists and other floating elements appear on the wrong screen in the wrong size (talking postage stamp 6pt tiny text!). Oy, not super loving the retina screen myself, seems like the world isn't ready just yet for highDPI.

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
You should see what firefox does with retina. First they had spotty performance, then they added it. Then, they disabled it. Then, they enabled it, but sometimes dropdown lists and other floating elements appear on the wrong screen in the wrong size (talking postage stamp 6pt tiny text!). Oy, not super loving the retina screen myself, seems like the world isn't ready just yet for highDPI.

And I should have noted: I have had multiple non-Retina Macs and I've never experienced anything like this.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
I am pretty surprised they haven't fixed it as well. I have it happen on some pretty major sites, I find it hard to believe they aren't aware of it.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
It's not your computer. All the rMBPs do this. Just install the webkit nightly and you'll be much happier. It's written by Apple developers.

Safari hasn't been updated in months so the fixes have not been pushed through yet.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This is absolutely amusing. Somebody returning a perfectly fine machine because one piece of buggy software? Safari is BUGGY. It is buggy on any Mac - no matter if retina or not. There are tons of other browsers out there, just use one of those.

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
No. Fix the issues with my $2799 laptop so that I can perform basic tasks (e.g. surf the web) without relying on a third-party's product.

Crying maybe...but this is not how it should be.

No one here has the power to fix your issues.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Wait?!? So you returned 3 machines for a software issue?! Seriously - WTF? If I were Apple I'd have told you to do one by now.

Either install Firefox, Chrome, or a WebKit Nightly build and get over it.

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
No one here has the power to fix your issues.

To the fanboys -- I knew you'd come to the rescue. I have been one myself for years. But whether it's a "buggy software" or repeated hardware failures according to Apple depot, something is not right with the systems. It's not a minor inconvenience; this is something that dramatically impacts how "most" consumers use their laptop. If I can't SEE the screen because the image is sliced in half and flickering, that's a problem. If I can't TYPE into a text box....you get the picture. Even typing this now, the cursor is hopping around and hiding characters. Something tells me that if you had these repeated issues, you wouldn't be so apologetic.

Again, make no mistake -- I knew this was coming when I posted in this forum. Check my previous posts. I'm no troll, kids.

Last edited:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
To the fanboys -- I knew you'd come to the rescue. I have myself for years. But whether it's a "buggy software" or repeated hardware failures according to Apple depot, something is not right with the systems. It's not a minor inconvenience; this is something that dramatically impacts how "most" consumers use their laptop. If I can't SEE the screen because the image is sliced in half and flickering, that's a problem. If I can't TYPE into a text box....you get the picture. Even typing this now, the cursor is hopping around and hiding characters. Something tells me that if you had these repeated issues, you wouldn't be so apologetic.

Again, make no mistake -- I knew this was coming when I posted in this forum. Check my previous posts. I'm no troll, kids.

It sounds like you're not getting the answer you want to hear. People aren't forgiving Apple for their fault in the matter, they are giving you legitimate advice. It's an issue with Safari and the apparent remedy is to use another browser. Yet, you're hung up on it being a hardware issue. Unless this is happening in other browsers and other applications, it's not a hardware issue. If it is happening in other apps, then you should have mentioned it in your post.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
It's not a minor inconvenience; this is something that dramatically impacts how "most" consumers use their laptop.

Don't worry about most consumers, just yourself. You brought up your issue, we offered pretty decent options to fix or get around it. Just install Chrome or Webkit nightly and worry about more important things in your life.

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
It sounds like you're not getting the answer you want to hear. People aren't forgiving Apple for their fault in the matter, they are giving you legitimate advice. It's an issue with Safari and the apparent remedy is to use another browser. Yet, you're hung up on it being a hardware issue. Unless this is happening in other browsers and other applications, it's not a hardware issue. If it is happening in other apps, then you should have mentioned it in your post.

I have had repeated problems with these issues and while I did see the cursor issue outside of Safari, it is predominantly when using Safari. I should have mentioned that (I saw this behavior in Firefox).

My intent was not to blast Apple, or to have someone from the forum provide the magical fix to solve all bugs. What I sought was to make this issue known. I had never experienced these issues with my non-Retinas, so I thought it worth mentioning to a demographic that is generally very good at seeing problems ahead of the rest.

I still contend that whether it's a purely software bug or not, it IS unique to Retina, and selfishly, that is my problem. I've never seen these symptoms manifested in iMac, CMBP, or MBA. If I had, then I'd probably be more willing to just accept that this problem, while unquestionably a pain in my a&&, was uniquely software related.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I still contend that whether it's a purely software bug or not, it IS unique to Retina, and selfishly, that is my problem. I've never seen these symptoms manifested in iMac, CMBP, or MBA.

I have had problems with Safari crashing and hanging on any Mac. Safari is a very buggy browser, and again - it its problems are by no means exclusive to retina machines. What you are talking about is not a hardware defect or some problem with your machine, its a bug in a non-critical application which happens to be bundled with your default OS installation. Even more, you didn't even pay for this software because it is FREE. Again, if this browser is not working for you then there are plenty other browsers to pick.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I have had repeated problems with these issues and while I did see the cursor issue outside of Safari, it is predominantly when using Safari. I should have mentioned that (I saw this behavior in Firefox).

My intent was not to blast Apple, or to have someone from the forum provide the magical fix to solve all bugs. What I sought was to make this issue known. I had never experienced these issues with my non-Retinas, so I thought it worth mentioning to a demographic that is generally very good at seeing problems ahead of the rest.

I still contend that whether it's a purely software bug or not, it IS unique to Retina, and selfishly, that is my problem. I've never seen these symptoms manifested in iMac, CMBP, or MBA. If I had, then I'd probably be more willing to just accept that this problem, while unquestionably a pain in my a&&, was uniquely software related.

It is a software bug. How many times do people have to say it - it's a software bug that has been fixed in the webkit nightlies - thus it will be fixed whenever Safari is next updated.

It's unique to the retina's because certain parts of Safari had to be re-written to support retina. Retina = two parts. High density screen, and software to support said high density screen. That's like saying I have a software glitch on my iPhone, but it's not software because it doesn't happen on my iPad.

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
It is a software bug. How many times do people have to say it - it's a software bug that has been fixed in the webkit nightlies - thus it will be fixed whenever Safari is next updated.

It's unique to the retina's because certain parts of Safari had to be re-written to support retina. Retina = two parts. High density screen, and software to support said high density screen. That's like saying I have a software glitch on my iPhone, but it's not software because it doesn't happen on my iPad.

I'm with you. My point is this: from a consumer standpoint, I could care less about this "software vs. hardware" delineation. Is it software? Is it hardware? Does it matter to me as this screen is hopping all over and shearing graphics? NO. The system barely functions doing the most basic tasks.

If the software was not mature enough to support Retina, then it should not have been sent down the production line. Period. I should not have to rely upon a third-party software to have my Retina function without these major boo-boos doing a minimally-processor-intensive function. This is not a minor bug.

I liken this to the following example: The space shuttle will not launch. Now, don't worry folks -- IT IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE. It's software. Everyone ok with that now? Good.

Unfortunately, some folks will still not be satisfied even after they're told it's only a software bug. They want the shuttle to launch. And they may not want to hitch a ride with the Russians (third-party) to take flight.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Unfortunately, some folks will still not be satisfied even after they're told it's only a software bug. They want the shuttle to launch. And they may not want to hitch a ride with the Russians (third-party) to take flight.

Well, the problem is your general attitude. You make it sound like the machine is unusable because some default bundled FREE software is buggy. Again - there are lots and lots of alternatives out there that might work better for you. Use them. Safari is buggy. Not defending Apple here - I am also very annoyed that they can't fix some bugs for years. But I hardly see any reason for your rhetorics.

P.S. What you are calling a third-party software here is not third-party software, its just software. Apple provides some default bundled utilities, they might work or not work for you. This is why its a computer and not an iPad - you have the choice about what program you can use.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007

You should follow your own suggestion and just get rid of it. Why drive yourself crazy over it. :confused: Not satisfied, get rid of it. ?

Stick with it, then deal with it. :rolleyes:

(same rule applies to relationships :p)

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Thank you. I will cease my criticisms and leave the thread as you wish. I'm sorry for raising this issue.

Or, again, just download Chrome and get on with your life. What browser do you think you'd want to use on a Windows machine? (Hint: it's Chrome)

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
Well, I got my new Retina in yesterday. Installed Webkit immediately. All of the same issues persist. Now I suppose I'm supposed to use a non-Apple browser, right? That's my fault for using a flawed browser, right?

Or, don't complain and return my $2799 laptop. Or jump off the ledge.

I know, I know. Let's do this thing. Let the beatings commence!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.