Retina Quality Comparable External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jms999, Sep 9, 2014.

1. jms999 macrumors newbie

I am leaning toward a 13" and then getting an external monitor however I have some questions. I currently have a several year old Windows laptop and have never used Retina other than in the store for a few minutes. I do a lot of reading on my laptop. I have heard that after using it for a little while I will be amazed at how good the retina screen makes things look. However spending another $500 on the 15" seems counter productive if I can get an external monitor that is 24"

I have seen people post a number of options including the Dell Sharp display I think or something like that, as well as others.

Is there anything out there that is comparable in quality to the Retina display on the MBP other than the $949 Apple display?

Also I have seen some thoughts that 24" displays that only cost $300-400 are not good quality and are made from LCDs that are rejected for the higher cost displays.

I am coming from a 15" laptop now. I don't want to get the 13" and then be mad that it is to small, however I have seen TONS of people say they like them and that you can increase the size of everything on the screen easily.

2. malandra macrumors regular

3. leman macrumors G3

The are not so many. Certainly, no conventional monitor is comparable in quality, because of their significantly lower PPI. Neither is Apple's Display.

What you want is one of the new 4K displays, and run them in retina mode. Some of them can be had for around $700, but they use low-quality panels. A decent one will set you back a few thousand.