Retina Question : Projector/Webex Scaling???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by titanflyer, Jun 15, 2012.

1. titanflyer macrumors member

Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but my desire to use the Retina MBP is to replace my work laptop via a VM image, and I see a possible problem. Most of my work is hooking up to either a projector to do demos to customers, or doing the same over Webex or Live Meeting. I guess my question is regarding the fact that you can't really change the resolution on the new MBP, but the OS scales the applications..right? So if I wanted to share my desktop on a webex, would everyone have to scale their share window to my resolution (not gonna happen)??? Or if I hook up to a projector, will it be able to handle the resolution through a VGA cable, or at all??? Most of the time I find I have to change the res on my laptop down to 1024 or some other crap so they can see it.

It might be too early to ask, and I have to assume apple has thought of this, but has anyone done this yet on the new machines?

2. titanflyer thread starter macrumors member

So I am guessing this is either a silly question or nobody knows...lol.. most likely the first one. Was just asking as I really don't have the ability to screw around with my job...

3. Gata macrumors regular

I don't know about Webex, but I can say that projectors will work fine; OSX treats projectors like external monitors, meaning you can either mirror your screen (your monitor will change resolutions automatically if necessary), or it'll have it as an external, "separate" monitor. Once you connect, if it doesn't configure itself correctly, you can quickly adjust whatever you need from System Preferences.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Whenever I've used webex, it automatically scaled the desktop to whatever the window size was.

5. jimmyz80 macrumors member

I just tried desktop sharing using WebEx, and the other participants said they only saw part of the screen. I'll find another computer and do some testing later.

6. orion123 macrumors regular

This doesn't work in GoToMeeting or over Lync either. Folks need to update their apps! Or apple needs to make a fix