Retina refurbs best buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nightlong, Mar 20, 2013.

1. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Do you think the retina Macbook refurbs are a better buy as they've been thoroughly checked and if they were returned because of screen problems probably have a new screen? Or, makes no difference because, according to many posts here, these screen problems usually take a while to develop?

2. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

And, how many rMBP owners, 13 and 15", bought refurb and have no screen issues whether LG or Samsung?

3. ShiggyMiyamoto, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

In the next month or two I plan on getting this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

once my tax refund is processed (and if I get as much as I'm anticipating and as much as my W-2 form says I could get) and from what other threads' conversations have said these machines are basically new. The only thing you won't supposedly get is a new box. When I get mine I'll make an unboxing video and quick overview of such since I'm curious as well.

4. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Look forward to seeing your video. There hasn't been any 13" retina refurbs here (Australia) yet, there have been several 15". I don't really need that much power. I want it mostly for writing, and some photography, 13" is great for writing not at a desk, I'm hoping there will be a close to retina quality Thunderbolt screen in the not too distant future, can't see the point of hooking a retina laptop up to a screen of inferior quality. But can't know how a 13" of today will cope with a TB display that doesn't yet exist! So I might end up getting a 15". But I don't want to spend so much money and have screen problems when the screen is the most important part for me. I've never bought anything refurb, and so appreciate advice from those who have.

5. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

I was totally skeptical of refurb stuff too, but I'm willing to take a chance for this rMBP since the price is amazing based on what it had retailed for just under a year ago. Savings of $420. *chuckles at implied reference*

6. cas85 macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind an actual "refurb" from Bestbuy, but I'm skeptical for this reason:

I've searched the open box sections of about 10 local Bestbuys. They all have ONE 15in 2012 rMBP 2.3...

This leads me to believe these are the old display models, not refurbs or returns. This means thousands of people have handled these things and the battery health is probably not where it could be for a newer computer since it's plugged in all the time.

I would usually have no problem buying open box from them, but I was nervous in this case and went Apple refurb to be sure of a new outer casing/battery and Apple quality check.

7. ShiggyMiyamoto, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

ShiggyMiyamoto

I'm still interested in getting a refurb rMBP, but I found a model with a 512 GB SSD, eliminating the need to spend ~$600 US for an aftermarket OWC/MacSales SSD (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Retina_2012), though I still might get it for the fact that it'd make a great external drive for when I travel. If I don't get back as much money as I hope I do, I'll get one or the other of the rMBPs mentioned in this thread.

Here's the ~other~ model I'm considering:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-26ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Besides the SSD spec bump/offering the CPU is a tad faster (up from a 2.3 GHz to a 2.6 GHz i7). So, essentially I'd be getting a high-end first gen for less than $2200. It seems like a lot, but this same model was likely closer to $2500 or more when new on the market. There are two downsides of this faster model:

* It only still has 8GB of RAM like the 2.3 GHz model. It seems no refurbished MacBook Pro from 2011 or 2012 (regardless of screen type) is available with 16 GB. I was hoping for that.. <_<.

and

* With my income it'd take me about a month to save up $413 or so, given I get back the maximum refund I'm hoping for. With the original 2.3 GHz i7 model linked further up in this thread I'd only have to fund ~$75 of my own money... Bah. lol

8. urkel macrumors 68030

Actually, he's not referring to Best Buy (the store), but rather "best value" by purchasing from Apple refurb.

9. utekineir macrumors 6502

They're a better buy because they are roughly 15% or more (typical discount) and the main difference is the box.

10. cas85 macrumors regular

Haha you are correct. Wow i'm an idiot.

11. ShiggyMiyamoto, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

ShiggyMiyamoto

Haha I'm always finding better deals as I plan on which rMBP I want to get:

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~9232232~pdp.hgcijcg

That's only $120 more than that $1779.00 refurb. It's saying that it's not in stock, and I hope they don't run OUT of stock permanently (as it's the left over from the first gen or so it seems) by the time I can afford it.

**EXCITED** hahah.

If I were to get this vs that refurb, nightlong would you still want to see an unboxing video? I think I'll make one regardless, and use it as my first video editing project on the new machine. xD

12. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Ha ha, yes would like to see what you unbox in this super-screen lottery!

13. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Haha since I posted my last post I found yet another model I want:

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~9232504~pdp.hgdachd

It's the high end from 1st gen I believe and it's got more satisfying specs for ~$620 more than the original refurb we were both looking at a few days earlier, which I still may get, but I wouldn't mind saving up for the one linked in this post since it's awesome.

14. cjohnson348 macrumors newbie

I purchased a retina refurb this week (13 inch, 256 SSD, 2.4 i5).

I picked it up from my apple store yesterday and was very excited to boot it up and see I hit the refurb lottery. Ended up having a 2.9 i7 processor. I paid a little over $1440 for it. I couldn't be happier.

15. ShiggyMiyamoto, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

ShiggyMiyamoto

Sweet! Yeah I've heard of that happening... I'd happy with anything frankly, but based on specs I really want that 2.6 GHz deal that I linked to (MacMall.com) just a post or two ago. :)

16. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Jealous! You get so much more choice in America. Haven't seen a single 13" retina refurb here.

17. AllAmerican macrumors newbie

Just got a mid 2012 15" retina refurb with a Samsung screen and Samsung SSD. No issues

18. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Wonder if all refurbs have Samsung screens .... If they've been returned with bad screens Apple would not want them coming back again. But this logic might be just wishful thinking and I thought Apple had ditched Samsung now as a screen supplier?

----------

The theory I hope to gain confidence in via this thread is that whatever screen a refurb has it has been thoroughly checked and has no issues which, so far, seems to be the case.