Retina Regrets vs new iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frocco, Dec 2, 2012.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

How many regret not waiting for the iMac?
    Just purchased a loaded retina, and could save a 1000 (us) if I opted for the iMac. Not sure how the screen would compare.

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Return it and buy an iMac if portability is not a concern.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This sounds like another bar-keep, hear my trouble post, but OK I bite.

Is money your top concern? because if that's the case, I saw a very gorgeous PC desktop ASUS screen at BB the other day and I'd bet it's a better Bang-4r-Buck than any Mac.

But a whole $G is alot of dough but if ur passed your return period, hey, just think of the rMBP as your trophy wife. Yes, you paid too much for her, but just keep thinking all the looks at the parties! :)

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Is it really that hard to decide between a retina laptop and an iMac???

Why would you regret not waiting for the imac? It's the same display, slightly thinner and has a fusion drive. What's so special about the iMac that is causing this regret? If you wanted a desktop it sounds like a clear choice to get the iMac. If you wanted a retina screen and a portable device, then the rMBP is the clear choice. Fairly easy decision IMO.

5. lightz39 macrumors regular

I was debating getting the new 27" imac but I have no where to place it. I decided the loaded retina with my 55" tv if I want a bigger screen does the trick.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Not.

rMBP + ATD = portable iMac with SSD, not fusion drive, 27" display, higher resolution than ATD/iMac screen (when viewing retina display)...and has been available for months ;)

7. tim100 macrumors 65816

the thunderbolt display does not use the new tech in the imac that reduces glare and eliminates the gap between the glass and screen. the display also requires a mag safe adapter.

8. AndyDiamond, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

AndyDiamond macrumors regular

AndyDiamond

Frocco - I got your PM but best to reply here.

Yes, you can get the top end 2012 iMac for less than the top end MBPr (unless you opt for the SSD in the iMac in which case the iMac will be more expensive).

US Prices:

2012 iMac 27"
    3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    32GB RAM
    3TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
    Mouse + Keyboard
    = $3,349.00
    with 768GB SSD $4,249.00

MacBook Pro Retina 15"
    2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    16GBRAM
    768GB SSD
    = $3,749.00

You have to work out what you need - portability(MBPr)/Retina display(MBPr)/max RAM (iMac)/larger display (iMac)…

I'd say both are equally on a par with each other performance-wise in everyday use although I'm sure benchmarks will show the iMacs to be faster in some cases when the 32GB RAM, turbo boost of the 3.4Ghz i7 and 2GB VRAM are required.

Myself, I have always used a combo of desktop and portable Macs - tower in the office with dual monitors, a bunch of external stuff hanging off - drives, scanners, audio interfaces etc.
    I am now in a position where I need to be portable so having a desktop is silly.

If I wasn't moving around I'd probably get a midrange 2012 iMac and a 13" MBPr.

Since I don't have a desktop anymore I need to replace that power with the gruntiest portable - that is the 2.7 MBPr/16/768.
    Its only the price that is a kicker - yes I could have survived with a MBPr 15" 2.3/8/256 but I'm a pro that relies on the best performance from my computer - I have no regrets.

To put things in context, back in May 2006 I purchased a brand new MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.0Ghz/1GB RAM/120GB HDD for a tad under what the new MBPr cost me . I'm still using it (just) - and it has served me very well over those six years. You can think of dropping a lot of money up front or you can work out the value of time vs. how much you use it and what for.
    These days even an entry level MBA is a very capable machine…

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The new IMac uses the same IPS panel as ATD. The difference is how the iMac screen is laminated with less glass up front The ATD provides a native MagSafe power plug for Mac laptops. The current revision B of the product added a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter for the retina series of laptops.

10. Vrasteophwaaagh macrumors newbie

Damn it all to hell! First I bought this . . . laptop with a . . . retina display, and now this . . . non-laptop comes out with a . . . non-retina display. How will I live to face the sunrise of another cruel dawn dawning?

Oh, the less-shiny glass (or so they say)! Oh, the fusion drive (or so I've heard)! I'd sacrifice all the portability and resolution I never wanted for those.

Come to think of it, I'd sacrifice the portability and resolution I never wanted for nearly anything -- a jujube, even -- since, as I just said, I didn't actually want them.

So why did I buy that MacBook Pro anyway? Note to Self 22: Must make an appointment with my Disassociative Identity Therapist.

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I have owned a lot of computers over the past 5 years. My absolute favorite was the 27 inch iMac followed by the 13 inch MacBook Air. I currently have a retina 15 and I love it but have as of late contemplated either just buying the new 27 inch and having two beasts or selling my MacBook Pro and buying an air plus a 27. Now what I think is a smart decision is to wait for the next processor upgrade. My retina 15 has the same gen processor as the new iMac so upgrading now wouldn't be smart. But who knows I am super impulsive I may see it and still buy It haha

12. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

I have until Dec. 9th to decide.

I have not seen the new iMacs, so I cannot compare the retina screen to it.

13. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

No regrets at all. The iMac is nice but not great, whereas my rMBP is, and even the fastest 27" is not faster than my rMBP. And I have tried, but the 27", all in all, is really less portable than my rMBP...

14. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

15. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

How do you even compare the two machines? :eek:

One is a portable, the other is not. Sounds like you simply don't know what you need.