Retina res on Win7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ultra AleM, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello guys. On bootcamp my Retina 15 MBP runs fantastic, but I have a graphics problem. Cannot set 2880x1800 because looks like universe. I set it up to 1680x1050 and everything is fine, but it is kinda blurry.

It does not give me the possibility to set 1440x900 (/2 pixels) which could fix this problem, partially. WhY?

Thanks.

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It works on mine.. maybe have to click advanced? It's been a few weeks since I did it.

Oddly I found 1440x900 didn't actually look better, despite being theoretically x2... it was still blurry. Driver issue, possibly. You do get used to the blur eventually.. it's the same as OSX in 1050 mode so as long as you're not looking at the screen all day you'll be fine.

You can also run at full res and play with the font scaling, but I found that it made things universally worse (Windows really doesn't do nonstandard font sizes well).

3. tjgonzo macrumors member

tjgonzo

To my understanding, Windows 7 does not do scaling like OSX does. OSX actually scales the 2880x1800 res and scales it to 1400x900. This is a software thing. Windows doesn't know how to do this, so when you set the resolution to anything lower than native, it will look a little blurry.

4. Mercmanman macrumors member

I cant comment on bootcamp drivers, but I run Win 7 in Parallels VM, and it has settings that drive every resolution (from retina / best through to more space) just like the MAC display settings.

It scales well, and resizes everything if you resize the window, and its all very clear. Not sure what Parallels is doing, but it is the reason why I dumped bootcamp and Virtualbox VM on my rMBP

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040