Retina screen issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skaertus, Jun 14, 2013.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I'm about to buy a rMBP, but I'm worried about all the issues I've read about. Are those still common (ghosting, dead pixels)?

Sorry for the short message, I'm writing from the iPhone...

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Ghosting seems to have been fixed with the 2013 models. Dead pixels are uncommon as always. But that's what a warranty is for!

3. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

:eek: You're worrying too much. [the forums do that to you...] like B.... said, Dead pixels aren't really that common and if you have ghosting/IR, then your warranty got you covered! Hope you enjoy your new rMBP! :apple:

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Warranty and AppleCare. B&H usually has the cheapest AppleCare.

5. kis macrumors 65816

No need to worry - if it has dead pixels, just take it back within the 14-day period

6. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

What rMBP were you going to get?

and what exactly is ghosting by the way guys?

7. kis macrumors 65816

It's like temporary burn in. If you leave a window open too long, the screen will retain a faint image of it for a while when the Windows's closed

8. dkillgo macrumors member

I bought a new 2013 15inch rMBP a little over a month ago. I've been using it almost every day since I got it and have had absolutely no issues.

I was a little worried after I found that my rMBP has the LG screen (the newer one), and hearing that the LG screens seemed to be more prone than the Samsung screens to have image retention. However, so far I have had no image retention at all, and the screen is absolutely beautiful.

Just buy Applecare and you won't have to worry about anything. It is a very smart investment if you are going to be spending over $2k on a laptop. (Plus if you can get the education discount, Applecare is also a little cheaper).

9. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

What's the advantage of Apple care?

10. B... macrumors 68000

B...

What's the advantage of an extended warranty?

11. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Don't you already get 1 year warranty?

It's highly unlikely that you'll not notice the problems after a few weeks of use.. and AppleCare doesn't fix anything other than hardware defects (which should ALWAYS be fixed even without AppleCare, but Apple is greedy.)

12. B... macrumors 68000

B...

HDD faliures, LB faliures, screen issues (dead or stuck pixels, muras etc), battery faliures and on and on, can occur after the one year warranty. It's not highly unlikely.

13. kis macrumors 65816

Stuck pixels very rarely occur after the manufacturing process. It happens, but not very often. Applecare won't help you there as that's usually not a warranty case. As for the rest: yupp. It's better to get AppleCare

14. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

I've never had any of these problems before with any device, ever (except a dead pixel on my old DS lite).

SSDs are much more reliable than hard drives, since it removes the moving parts.

Can you purchase Apple Care at any time though?

15. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Any time in the first year of owning it.

16. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Ah, that's cool. I have a year to decide. I'll be able to make money for it by then.

Just waiting on that BTS promo before I decide... Whenever it is.

17. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

there hasnt been much reports of ghosting in the 13, if for some unknown reason you are getting the 15, the 2013 models dont have the issue

apple warranty in brazil, as you might be aware, is pretty abysmal. Everything that might be disputed is sent to NY (via internal msgs and pics), things that enter the realm of disputed, chargers, screen issues and some other stuff, things that are costly but dont enter dispute, mobos, and some other stuff

I had my mobo replaced 2x already, along with some cables and wifi adapters

all I can say is, buy applecare and good luck