Retina Screen Problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ncage1974, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ncage1974 macrumors member

Hey guys, thinking about getting either a 13 or 15 rMBP and have some questions. I've heard about reports about two general screen problems: image retention problems & yellow casting problem. Did this affect the first generation or retina displays (ivy bridge) or is this still a problem with the current generation (haswell)? Does this affect both the 13 & 15 in models or only the 13 in model? How common is it? If you have the image retention problem is it going to be like the old days of plasma tvs where an image is permanently burned into the screen or does it eventually go away with time and just get annoying? To be honest with you the reason i'm looking into the retina units is because the accept more ram and have more powerful cpus rather than for the screen (though i think i'll enjoy it if it doesn't cause me any issues). I currently have a 2012 MBA and i think the screen is plenty sharp. Anyways any help would be appreciated.

thanks....

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In my mid-2012 first gen retina, I had image retention problems, so my local APR replaced it for free.

In my late-2013 Haswell retina, I have no problems whatsoever :) some people have complained about yellow tint and IR problems though. I was lucky :D

3. Ncage1974 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm so its still a problem huh? Maybe not as likely? Maybe not :)? Have any idea if it affects both the 13 & 15? I was actually looking to get a used one off of amazon....if i do i better make sure the warranty is transferable (which i think it is).

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No idea whether it affects the 13", because I've never used a 13" rMBP (I find it too small and underpowered for my needs), so I can't help in this :(

5. richard371 macrumors 68000

Just got the new 15". No image retention at all. screen looks great but if I stare and look carefully I feel the middle has a slight darkness area and the right is more yellow or dim but thats pushing my OCD to the limit. When I look at a blank white and grey screen its not bad at all. I don't feel like chancing another and having to spend 4 hours reinstalling every thing. Only thing thats bugging me now is the creakiness when I press on the back where it says macbook pro. I may take it in to the Apple store tomorrow for piece of mind.

6. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Sounds exactly like mine. Has a small smudgy "dark area" but otherwise seems good for color. Also has creakiness like yours. I'm in the same position where it's bugging me but having to waste all those hours taking the machine in and getting it fixed right now is just irritating.

7. OldMacUser macrumors member

OldMacUser

Just got my 15-in rMBP today and so far I have not noticed any of the issues others have mentioned (touch wood, cross fingers).

I did come across the fuzzy external display issue with the Dell U2410 monitor which is connected via Mini-DP>DP cable but a quick visit to this site took care of it, and the external display is working as per normal.

With specific regards to the yellow screen issue, the 15-in rMBP is much closer in tone to the Dell U2410 which is in the SRGB preset. My previous 2010 MBP had a very distinct blue tint and I much prefer the rMBP's rendition but I guess this is horses for courses and down to individual preferences.

Moved all my files and applications using Migration Assistant and everything seems to be humming along nicely now - very pleased with the new rMBP.

:)