Retina Screen replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phightinphils, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Phightinphils, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

Phightinphils macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

So...my backpack got run over in an unfortunate event today and my beloved first gen MBPR was in it. Unit is fully functional - just cosmetic damage. The lid is now bent upwards slightly on the left side but it's only noticeable when the it is shut. I'm leaving some heavy objects on top of it tonight to see if I can warp it back to its original shape. If that doesn't work, does anyone know the best route to take? Surely someone could replace my lid/screen but it'd probably be a pretty penny...then again it is a $2k+ laptop.

Sam

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yea, any replacement is gonna be expensive as **** sadly.

3. Phightinphils thread starter macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

Where should I go? Regardless, it'll be cheaper than buying a new Haswell.

4. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I just had a screen replaced. Mine was covered by Applecare but the price listed was $450 at the Apple Store.

5. Phightinphils thread starter macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

Do you think the bent lid would be included in that? I may just buy the apple care and get it fixed under that. I'd still get a year out of the warranty plan if I bought one.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Applecare won't cover that. This sounds like something that should go through insurance to be honest

7. Phightinphils thread starter macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

On their website it claims that AppleCare covers 1-2 accidental damages.

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

AppleCare+. Not AppleCare, which is all that exists for MacBooks.

You need to buy it and have it pass a Genius examination anyway - that would definitely fail

9. dwfaust, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  10. Phightinphils thread starter macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

Retina Screen replacement

I wasn't aware that covered computers. I guess that's something to look into. Thanks.

If that doesn't pan out, I can always resort to SquareTrade. They cover just about everything and I've checked and they'll cover what happened. It'd run be $399.99 for a 2 year warranty on mine since it's worth $2,000 and up.

11. dwfaust, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  12. Phightinphils thread starter macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

Correct. The backpack was run over by our car and the backpack contained my MacBook.

13. BL4zD macrumors 6502

On a retina, the screen and top half of the case are replaced as a single unit.

14. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

Right. That was my point more than the Applecare issue. My screen was covered by Applecare because it was a hardware defect. I'm not sure of the price difference for a 15" screen but since the parts and labor on a 13" retina screen is $450, I would just pay out of pocket rather than claiming it on my insurance.

15. Phightinphils thread starter macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

So even if I'm not under warranty, I can pay out of pocket and apple will fix it?

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You can expect it to be in the neighborhood of $600 - $700. I just had mine replaced under warranty and the price was $662.86 with labor ($89). The entire display assembly will get replaced.

17. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

Yes. As the poster above said, it will probably run around $600 for the 15" model.

18. Phightinphils thread starter macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

I've been told $1000 by other members.

19. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I guess the only way to know is to find out at the store. The pricing listed before my warranty was applied (for a 13" model) was $450. Maybe that was just parts and labor is extra but $1000 seems steep for just a screen.

20. 5to1 macrumors regular

Unless you already have square trade, that would constitute insurance fraud. There may only be a small chance of getting caught, but the consequences would be severe. Try getting a mortgage for a house when you can't get building insurance because you've previously committed insurance fraud :/

21. Phightinphils thread starter macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

True. I won't be doing that anyways. If I do something about it, I'll just sell mine and buy a new Haswell MBPR. :apple:

22. StarPort2 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, found this thread when I was looking for a solution to my cracked Retina screen a while ago.

After searching around quite a bit I found a place to buy the retina screen replacement. They are quite a lot cheaper than getting it replaced by apple.

This place sells all the different screen types.

I picked up a 2013 15" screen assembly for only $449 + a bit of shipping and did the repair myself. They even included a tutorial video on how to do it!

So happy I found this place, saved me lots of $$. Hope this helps out someone else!

23. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

So be honest didn't read the whole thread...but I replaced my top cover (including lcd)myself due to image retention problems for $240. If the only damage is top cover its not that bad. I got it on eBay