Retina Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thomamon, Oct 24, 2012.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Do you think eventually they will come out with a stand alone monitor with the retina display? I was debating on getting the Thunderbolt monitor, but don't want to purchase it and in 6 months have them come out with that.

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

No. If apple wanted to add very large retina displays to a product, it would have been the iMac.

3. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Sharp is coming out with a 31.5 inch 4K screen.

Soon.

4. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

I think the highest they'd ever go would be 2880 x 1800 native resolution. A 4k resolution consumer monitor doesn't make sense.

5. lars666, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

lars666 macrumors 6502a

"Ever" is a big word ... We will see Retina/4K iMacs and Thunderbolt displays eventually. When will Apple double the resolution - in one year? In two years? In four years? Who knows. But they will come.

6. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

7. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

True. I'm looking at this though through a consumer standpoint, though. It would be nice, but we are barely breaking out of the 1080p resolution "era". I agree with CASLondon in the sense that it could be years. That was what I was really getting at.

8. lars666 macrumors 6502a

I understand. As to when the change happens, I don't feel competent enough to guess when exactly a doubling of the resolution will happen at these big displays. Wasn't able to do so with the iPad either before the third generation came out - I just don't have the insides what's technically doable (and payable) at the moment. But I think - like with the iPhone size, the iPad size and the notebook size -, it will probably be Apple again with its iMac line who will be the booster for making the double "retina" resolution standard also in desktop sized monitors.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Apple has not said what resolution is needed on a 27" or 30" monitor to get the Retina label. Personally I doubt very much the resolution of 2560x1400 needs to double on a 27" to get that label.

In the meantime, enjoy the narrow gamut IPS monitors (like TD) or wide gamut IPS monitors (like Dell). Remember that TD is the only one to give you a docking station function set for a Macbook.

10. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

A 4K 27" screen would offer about a 172ppi resolution.

The current Apple 27" screens offer around a 109ppi resolution.

My 65" plasma is only around 34ppi...

11. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It's all relative. At a 10' viewing distance, (close for a 65" screen), your plasma's pixel density will be equivalent to a retina iPhone screen at 12". So, according to Apple's definition of retina, your plasma is retina.

12. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I was thinking of getting the tb display, but didn't want to see it upgraded to retina right after I bought it.

13. Tanax macrumors 6502a

This is a typical example of how extraordinary Apple is at introducing new "brands". If something called "Apple" doesn't have "Retina", people won't buy it because they fear they will update it with "Retina".

You can all rest assured that there is NO WAY (in hell) that they will introduce a TB-display Retina within at least 1 full year from now. And 1 year is on the short side. And even if they did release that kind of product, the manufacturing costs for screens of that quality is just too high so it'll probably be released as a separate product for those who really need it with a pricetag of 1.699$+.

It's just not realistically possible right now for a TB-display Retina with the same price as current TB-display.

14. hleewell macrumors 6502a

It may not be profitable for Apple to produce a stand-alone thunderbolted retina display, but if they do I am there. The quality of the screen on MBPr is just astounding.

15. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

They will bring one to the market for sure, but I think we have to wait at least 2 years. These panels are extremely expensive the graphic chips (at least mobile graphics) are far away from capable to deliver the necessary performance, at least the mid range ones.