Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanpple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I am strongly considering purchasing a Thunderbolt Display however I would (obviously) prefer to get a Retina Thunderbolt Display. Therefor I am wondering if any of you have any thoughts on when one will come out?

Or at least when the next update will come out for the display (and what it will entail)

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I am strongly considering purchasing a Thunderbolt Display however I would (obviously) prefer to get a Retina Thunderbolt Display. Therefor I am wondering if any of you have any thoughts on when one will come out?

Or at least when the next update will come out for the display (and what it will entail)

In my opinion the price margin for a retina display are way too low. The first time you will see retina display that are not MacBooks will be iMacs that will sell at a hefty premium.

Also, and this is again just my opinion, the GPU's have to evolve massively to make retina displays a great experience on large desktop displays.

Today, you have 2560x1440 on a Cinema display, the MacBook has "only" 2880x1800, because it is much smaller.

A retina cinema display would have to exceed 4k horizontal resolution which is hardly possible today.

From a GPU point of view 5120x2880 is not going to fly and there's no cabling that would not be maxed out. Meaning no bandwidth for any additional features like Audio, Camera und USB3.

It will not happen anytime soon.

Last edited:

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011

I don't think a retina cinema display will be available any time soon. It seems cinema display usually follows the iMac. I think if apple will use retina display in any large screen, it will appear on iMac first. Also, doubling the resolution of current thunderbolt display is pretty demanding on the hardware.

My opinion is that there will not be a retina thunderbolt display. But I think it is possible that apple will use the design of iMac on the display. Since it is not long from the WWDC now, if you are not on a urgent need of a new display, you can wait to see whether there is an update on the display then

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.