Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best ultra-high-resolution ultrabook?

• 13-inch Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (3200x1800, 3.1 lbs)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 13-inch ASUS Zenbook UX301LA "Infinity" (2560x1440, 2.6 lbs)

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 13-inch Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro (3200x1800, 3.1 lbs)

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Which of the current ultra-high resolution ultrabooks do you prefer?

These are probably the closest alternatives to a retina MacBook Air, which has not yet been released by Apple.

I didn't put the 13-inch retina MacBook Pro in this poll because, as this is an Apple-related website, the results could probably be biased towards the Apple laptop.

There were also some other alternatives that could be considered such as the Acer Aspire S7 (2560x1440), the Lenovo X1 Carbon (2560x1440) and the Fujitsu Lifebook (3200x1800), but I guess the three models listed below are the most popular choices so I put only them.

So, which one of these Windows ultrabooks is the best and why? (or, if none of them, why?)

Last edited:

gordon1hd1

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
You asking windows laptop on Mac forum? Probably won't have the best feedback.

But based on online website reviews I have seem, i think the Asus one is the best. Out of all the 6 ultrabook you listed, that is the only laptop using the Iris 5100 HD graphic, which is the same graphic chip in the Retina 13. Since the display is such high resolution, you would want the best graphic chip available to drive the display.

For the other 5 laptop listed they use Intel HD4400 graphic, which is slightly slower then what is in the MBA 13 (which use the HD5000).

Also based on the pictures i have soon, I also think that the 301LA is the best looking one (although probably the most expensive laptop also). PS are you sure about the weight? From the Asus website, it list the weight as 3.08 lbs. Not bad, but not as feather light as 2.6lbs.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
You asking windows laptop on Mac forum? Probably won't have the best feedback.

Very likely.

But based on online website reviews I have seem, i think the Asus one is the best. Out of all the 6 ultrabook you listed, that is the only laptop using the Iris 5100 HD graphic, which is the same graphic chip in the Retina 13. Since the display is such high resolution, you would want the best graphic chip available to drive the display.

Well, the Asus is the one that has the best video card, but it probably has the worst battery life as well.

I think OS X should push the video card more than Windows. A 13-inch retina MacBook Pro may use a 1680x1050 resolution, which is rendered as 3360x2100, even higher than the highest resolution of these Windows ultrabooks (which is 3200x1800).

For the other 5 laptop listed they use Intel HD4400 graphic, which is slightly slower then what is in the MBA 13 (which use the HD5000).

Again, I don't know if that makes much of a difference. On the other hand, the processor in these laptops run at a higher clock than the MBA.

Also based on the pictures i have soon, I also think that the 301LA is the best looking one (although probably the most expensive laptop also). PS are you sure about the weight? From the Asus website, it list the weight as 3.08 lbs. Not bad, but not as feather light as 2.6lbs.

The Asus is really breathtaking, but I have not yet seen one in person. The Samsung looks good, and the Lenovo not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.