Retina vs High-Res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ct2k7, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I know that there is a difference, but there isn't an Apple Store nearby or a store nearby that sells the MBPR, so I can't see for myself.

How much of an improvement would I see with the MBPR from a High-Res screen?

2. ai42 macrumors newbie

So I have a High Res and I went and looked over a retina pretty good. There is a definite difference in the resolution, clarity etc. The viewing angles and contrast are vastly improved on the Retina. I know there are quantifications of these specs but seeing it in person is pretty dramatic.

As far as screen real estate, the Retina scaling options added the second to highest screen scaler feels equivalent as the High res display.

3. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I went to Best Buy and played around with the retina.

What ai42 said is spot on. The difference in just about everything was clear. Retina was definitely more pleasing to look at it.

In my unprofessional opinion, however, I don't think the price hike is worth the extra quality. Perhaps in the distant future I'll adopt the retina screen, but for now I'm happy with a measly 1600x screen.

4. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

For the 100th time the price hike is not just due to it having a retina screen...

5. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

I don't think he was alluding to that.

I currently have the high-res screen and I'm not entirely sure that having anything higher would do me any benefit. Maybe in a couple of years down the line when this MBP is on its legs. Might be a while though.

For me, everything is crystal and crisp as it is. I have to really look for the pixel to find them though

6. aaronlam macrumors newbie

aaronlam

Anyone have a feeling about the anti-glare hi-res vs the retina? I am using the hi-res anti-glare... the retina didn't seem as reflective as previous glossy screens but there were no anti-glare's in the store to compare to... specifically for photo editing.