'Retina' vs SAMOLED+ - stop the BS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ped, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ped macrumors regular

It seems many of the Apple loyalists here try to argue against SAMOLED+ screens based on only one factor; pixel density/resolution. Mostly I feel that's because it's the only aspect of an AMOLED that is lesser on a spec sheet than the iPhone 4's screen. In every other measurable stat the AMOLED+ beats the iPhone 4's screen. So why does pixel density matter? To be blunt it really doesn't. Why is that? Because arguing that 300 ppi+ is necessary of a 3.5" diagonal phone screen is ridiculous. Apple's own iPad is a 9.7" diagonal screen that runs at nearly the same resolution as the iPhone 4, but has many times the screen surface area (8X as much). So if an iPad can look so awesome at 8X the screen size with the same resolution there seems little reason to complain about the slightly-lower resolution of SAMOLED+, and act as if it's a reason to stay with the inferior LCD technology.

People (including me) used to use 17" or larger monitors running at 1024x768 and it was perfectly fine. Pretending anything less than that res on a handheld 3.5" screen is just silly. It also assumes that all phones that came before it, iPhones included, were inadequate, which is again just silly.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Are you having a little argument with yourself here or creating an opportunity to slip in that powertool link !!

4. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

You contradict yourself. Also... what is your point?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's the problem, the iPad's screen doesn't look awesome, not when you're used to an iPhone 4 screen at least. Sure SAMOLED is better for movies and pictures but 90% of the time I'm reading and for that it's not great ... not even good really.

6. ped, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011

ped thread starter macrumors regular

Are you asking me or the other poster?

What's worse about reading on a SAMOLED+ than an iPhone?

So all those iPad owners (many of which also own iPhones) are idiots?

It's called a 'sig' (signature) and is configured on my account and appears on EVERY post, including replies, not just threads I start. Did you really not know this?

7. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2, and I don't see how bad the iPad 2 screen is.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, because I own an iPad and I would like to see a future iPad with greater resolution density...I am an idiot.

You sure got me.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Smaller text is blurry in general. It's more of a side effect of using a matrix.

Exactly. There is a reason the iPad 2 and 3 both had/have rumors of a high resolution display. Not everyone thinks it looks great.

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Who cares about stats. All I care about is performance. To me, both screens look fantastic and have enough pixel density for my aging eyes.

As for the iPad, it's screen is not as sharp as the iPhone4. Does it mean that it's not a good screen? Heck no. It's a great screen, it's just not as sharp as an iPhone's.

17" monitors running 1024x768 were perfectly fine 10-15 years ago because that's all that the technology allowed (at a reasonable price). There's no way that anyone wants a 17" XGA monitor in today's world.

This is ridiculous. All it means is that the screen technology has gotten to the point where higher resolutions are available for a reasonable price. These screens were available 2 or 3 years ago. Doesn't make them inadequate.

Hell, in 5 years we'll have smartphones with 600 dpi just because we can. Doesn't mean that phones today are inadequate.

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I love the rich colour reproduction on my Omnia7 and Nexus S's SAMOLED panels but the resolution and clarity of the Retina display never ceases to amaze me, and that's on an iPod touch. The iPhone 4 has things even better with its display.

SAMOLED does look fine and certainly has its place but I can easily notice the resolution difference on my SAMOLED devices.

It's shocking how bad a 3GS screen is after seeing a SAMOLED, SAMOLED+ or retina display.

I like both display technologies for different reasons and find both of them perfectly usable. Personal taste will always make someone put one tech over the other and neither preference is right, just enjoy the display type you prefer.

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Troll thread.

Nothing to see here boys. Moving on...

13. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

While not actually germaine to this discussion, I find the whole debate around screen technology (SAMOLED vs. IPS-LCD) in regards to the iPhone to be hilarious.

I imagine at the time the iPhone4 was in development, there was a conversation amongst the team members where screen resolution increases were being discussed. There was probably debate about resolution independence vs. pixel doubling. There was probably a debate about 3.5" vs. 4". And there was likely a debate about screen technology.

I'm guessing that they got to the decision by first choosing the screen size. They chose to remain at 3.5" so that the feel of the system was retained. Next, they probably chose pixel doubling over resolution independence since it would be easier for the developers and less chance of fragmentation.

Finally, they made a decision on SAMOLED vs IPS-LCD. They looked at the market projections and saw that they were gonna sell 4 million of these a month and then looked to see if SAMOLED fabs could meet that demand. Then they chose IPS-LCD.

ft

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Dear Everyone,
    If you do not like the screen on the iPhone 4 and think other screens are better on other devices, then please do not purchase one.
    If you do like the screen on the iPhone 4, help yourself.

Any other arguments are merely trolls going into scout mode. Please ignore them and do not taunt the dynamite monkey.

15. ped thread starter macrumors regular

No, what you implied was that people (yourself included) that had used an iPhone and then got an iPad would be (or should be?) disappointed with it. When nothing could be further from the truth. The iPad rocks.

16. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

You. Which you already knew.

17. ped thread starter macrumors regular

I'm working on a 1280x1024 17" LCD right now. Not much higher res than what we're discussing. And it works fine. I am an IT guy and write code on it, do email and web surfing and generally everything else a person does on a computer.

18. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Yeah, but do you really want that monitor. If you had to buy your own monitor, would you really choose a 17" 1280x1024 one?

At work, I have a 15" 1280x1024 monitor that I use in conjunction with my laptop's 14" 1024x768 screen. It's terrible. If I were to buy my own gear, I'd certainly wouldn't choose screens with yesterday's standards.

Oh yeah, there is a big difference between 1280x1024 and 1024x768 for web surfing. XGA is awful for surfing as I'm constantly scrolling left/right on Macrumors. AWFUL!

And before you say it, I do realize that the iPad is 1024x768 and surfing is wonderful on it. Not sure what it is, but using multitouch to zoom and pan is much much different than using a wheel mouse to scroll around.

19. ped, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

Apple has filed 4 patents around using OLED in the last 8 months; do you really find it so irrelevant to discuss the impending use of OLED in Apple devices? It's nearly inevitable that they will. OLEDs are already in nearly every portable electronics device there is, including the upcoming Sony Vita (next-gen PSP).

No, I didn't. What did I contradict myself on? That might have been useful info to include in your post.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I implied something without even making a post?

Man, I'm good.

21. ped, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

Love your avatar, by the way. :)

Oh you were just agreeing with the guy who said it. That is what he was implying right?

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He was saying the iPad can have a better screen than it currently does.

I agree with that. We would both like to see an improved iPad 3.

From what I can read, I think you think that's idiotic, but I can't speak for you.

23. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Super Amoled Plus > Retina.

That's my opinion on it and I doubt it'll ever change, Super Amoled + is just superior in every way exc. pixel density.

24. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I don't even have an iPhone 4 to compare but I was very surprised how poor text readability is on the iPad 2. I'm sure that's why all but buzz about an HD iPad.

25. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I'm waiting for an iPad HD (assuming it will have closer to "retina" specs). As for Super AMOLED Plus, I'm sure it's great on the devices that have it. But I do know that my Epic 4G's Super AMOLED doesn't even come close to the iPhone 4's "retina" display. Pixel density is everything, once you've experienced it.