Retina vs screen resolution

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tech198, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hearing all the talk about "Retina is better", no doubt it is way better.

But isn't this just a marketing term. ??

What i mean is Laptops and phones/tablets all run best at 'native' resolution.

My take on Retina is kind of "cheating"... Apples "jumping the fence"

Doesn't matter what *magic* you can do behind the user, in the display *like the Macbook Pro Retina* to *achieve* shaper text/graphics etc.. They only look better, but downscaled to roughly 1920x1080..... Just because it has 4x pixel density may make it look good, but at the end of the day... screen resolution would limit how many pixels you can put in before it becomes blurry wouldn't it ?

Plus, not to mention doing any scaling of any sort would affect performance, to some extent.

Yet another reason why Native would be better... Yet you only hear Retina this and Retina that from Apple, Google Samsung S3 runs native at that much higher than the iPhone 4s, and it looks a whole lot better *because* its a higher resolution. *not just upscaled/downscaled in the display* ... This basically indicates, Apple is taking control, they can do whatever they like with resolutions... I'd rather stay in control.... I don't want to *think* i'm running at near 1920x1080.... I want to know for sure......

This is why I'm sticking with MBP (2.3 Gig), was I believe native is still faster..

Its fine on the iPad 3 and iPhone 4s, because these are only up to 10 inches..

Bigger screen + more pixels = more work on GPU to downscale.. equals poorer performance.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

more powerful gpus = more power needed to process = better user experience.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Personally the last time I thought "I need more pixels" is when I used my wife's 3gs. I can't see individual pixels on my nexus or my computer monitors so I am much more interested in contrast and saturation.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The thing about Retina is the workable screen estate is still 320x480.