RetinaMBP: Hard case/shell availability?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zahque, Jun 13, 2012.

1. zahque macrumors member

aren't third party suppliers usually given some slight heads up about form factor alterations? in the past, i seem to remember shells/cases available at launch for new products.

at the moment, there are no such options, although speck does promise that something will be coming along "soon". still, it's a bit strange (and inconvenient, coming from a case fanatic.) was this an attempt by apple to be even more tight-lipped than usual?

i kind of don't want to take mine out of the house until something is available.

2. zahque thread starter macrumors member

that provided no additional information to what i posted above, and did not answer my question. but thanks for participating in the conversation! ;)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because there is no new information. It's too early. It takes time for manufacturers to catch up, and no, they're not given advanced notice.

4. zahque thread starter macrumors member

if i'm not mistaken, third party manufacturers have had iPhone cases available on launch day for redesigned products.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not if the dimensions are different, as in the case of the new MBP-RD. iPhone 4 cases fit iPhone 4S because they're identical dimensions.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That only happens when the dimensions leak. As far as I know that didn't happen this time.

7. zahque thread starter macrumors member

the iPhone saw a case redesign between 3GS and 4, and yet cases were available for the iPhone 4 on launch day. this is what i'm referring to. why is the retina MBP different?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What Stetrain said. Seriously, just give it a week or two and cases will likely be available. It's not the end of the world if you have to wait a bit.