Retina's lag must be related to software, not hardware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KohPhiPhi, Jun 24, 2012.

1. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I dont understand the following: Why is the rMBP (2880x1800) suffering from scroll lagging issues whereas my underpowered MBA can power up a 27" Apple Display (2560x1440) flawlessly (no lag whatsoever)?

It's got to be something related to the way OSX scales resolutions in the rMBP, rather than the rMBP's internal components themselves. I don't know if it's because of poor drivers, poor OSX optimization, or what, but the problem has got to be software-bound, not hardware-bound.

Opinions?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

Right, but the scaling algorithms are run on hardware. Is there room for improvement? Who knows.. But you can't really call them software bound when the software itself has been developed to resolve a situation where the hardware isn't quite there.

4. Skjetne macrumors member

I have heard that if you run it on full native 2880x1800, there is no lag.

So i guess it's the rendering thats messing with it. As Anand said, what apple has done with the rendering is extremely impressive, and ofc. it's common that there are kinks when something is new. I would guess that the software will be updated shortly(i sure hope so), and from there on it will be smooth sailing.

5. KohPhiPhi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see... so basically they've pushed the software beyond what the hardware can cope with, like muscle car manufactures tossing a huge engine in a car with substandard chassis (thus delivering poor steering, etc). Gotcha.

6. Skjetne macrumors member

I guess apple will address these kinks asap, and but we should wait for the mountain lion release, and see if that helps..

7. rmg1976 macrumors newbie

Get your hands on a copy of 10.8 Dev Preview 4. All the lag goes away and the computer is exactly how you'd hope it would be. I installed it on my base model rMBP and couldn't be happier. There are a few sites that allow you to download it without being a dev. :)

8. The "Dude" macrumors regular

+1. I have no issues whatsoever with mine.

9. Skjetne macrumors member

How is the performance in "more space" mode? zooming, scrolling (at normal speed), mission controll, changing workspaces etc..