retinazis: could you ever go back to a non retina display on a notebook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emilioestevez, Sep 22, 2015.

?

once you go retina...

1. no way, josé

80.3%
  2. yeah, the air's screen doesn't bother me

10.6%
  3. yes, but only to a 1080p+ IPS desktop monitor

7.6%
  4. my eyesight is so bad it doesn't matter to me

1.5%
  1. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

i'm posing this question to rMB owners, but rMBP owners can chime in, too :)

2. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Never. Retina is the best thing to come along since USB :)

3. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I voted for the 1080p+ IPS monitor option.

Yes, Retina is fantastic and given the choice, I would never move away from it. I would never go back to the MBA's screen willingly as all my Apple devices now have Retina displays.

However, at work I have a fairly old HP w1907 monitor that can only run as high as 1440x900. When I don't have my rMB next to me and switching between the two, I can manage. However, I can definitely notice the fuzziness and while it won't make my eyeballs bleed, it is a significant backstep to what I'm used to.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The device that ruined all other screens for me was the iPhone 4. Nothing compared to retina after that.

5. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

While the screen on the MBA isn't a particularly good screen for its class, I never had any difficulty looking at it all day when I had one. The rMB screen is clearly crisper and clearer, and has much better color fidelity and I definitely prefer it over the MBA. But the cost is in the required battery and processor power to drive it (and in font sizes for some).

If Apple were to offer the next MBA with a "best in class" IPS display (as opposed to the current mediocre one), I might even go back to an Air for the extra horsepower and ports.

6. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Very likely, yes. Especially considering that very few companies use such screens in their offices. I'll still be staring at LCD screens for many years to come, at least 7-8 hours a day... While the retina display is nice, it's not vital ( for me that is and for the stuff I do on a computer - mainly programming and gaming ).

7. emilioestevez thread starter Suspended

emilioestevez

Isn't the retina display easier on your eyes (less eye fatigue, eye strain) over time?

8. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Not as far as I can tell. Stuff definitely looks nicer on the retina screen, but that's about it...

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Of course I could if I had to, I would however go out of my way not to.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Retina display and SSD are non-negotiable for me now.

11. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

12. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

The retina screen was certainly a nice improvement over the MBA, but I didn't feel like it was a revolutionary change for me. It wouldn't be a main factor when picking my next laptop.

13. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Ditto, spot on :)

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

I can't really tell much difference between my wife's 2014 MBA and my 2014 13" rMBP. In some ways I'd prefer the MBA since it is lighter.

15. rajivhifi macrumors member

Have the same combo and there's a difference between the two. Photos look so much better on the retina screens.

16. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Not a hope. I converted to mac specifically for the rMBP in 2012. When the retina imac came along I thought I would continue to use my 30" Dell 2560x1600 display as a secondary monitor. Within half an hour I'd taken it off the desk. Can never use it again...

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I bought a 15" 2015 MBP and a month later, a non retina 13" 2012 MBP. It doesn't bother to me to switch between the two although the Retina sure is nice.

18. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

How about a fifth option in the poll? I have a rMB and a nMP that's connected to a 3440x1440 21:9 34" Samsung monitor that has a VA panel. The ultra-wide form factor is perfect for my desktop use cases and all the 21:9 IPS panels I tried had really, really bad backlight bleed issues. The lack of "retina" resolution for my desktop monitor really isn't a big deal.

19. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Once I get retina there will be no going back... I want retina so bad.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

True, but it's not that much for my eyes, and I really love the MBA for being lighter.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Only had my retina 15" MBP for about a week, and I already made up my mind that I will never go back to a lower resolution.

22. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

23. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I have retina and non retina laptops, both has pros/cons. I would not buy a laptop just cause of the resolution of the screen.

24. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

When I take time to notice, yes. The Retina display wonderful. However, when switching between standard and high DPI while working, it's an afterthought.

25. JackieInCo macrumors 601

My job has cheapo touch screen monitors with Dell desktops behind those. There are a huge amount of workplace PCs with low res monitors. It will be years before many of those upgrade.

The area manager comes in occasionally to do her audits with an iPad. That's the newest piece of tech our workplace has seen in years.