Retired apps

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Dagless, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sorry, just a little rant!

I bought an app in 2013, it wasn't expensive (app+IAP was £14) but it was really useful and there's still nothing else like it on the app store. Today I tried loading it and it was fine, but the IAPs can no longer be downloaded. I contacted Apple support wondering if there was anything that happens in this situation (refunds, some other way of getting the IAPs). But basically no. I was told to contact the developers and navigate their page in Japanese. It was just a bit silly really.

It was all understandable up until the Apple support person said "It was released 2 years ago".

Is that a long time in this market? I've got games on Steam that I bought in 2004 that I can still download, and they may or may not run but at least I can download them. But that's not comparable because PC hardware isn't locked like iOS so let's have a look at consoles. Everything I ever bought for my PSP and PS3 can still be downloaded and those go back to 2006. All the games and apps I downloaded on the Wii are still fine too.

What a shame that 2 years is considered a long time now, and how much that's preventing me from spending money on the app store.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Clearly the IAP are dependent on the app, and thus the developer, not Apple.

3. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

4. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Also, IAPs cannot be shared via Family Sharing. That sucks.

5. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

When i see IAP i just skip that app or game. **** them.

6. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

same.. unfortunately i have had to buy some IAPs. but i do avoid them. if they cannot offer full paid app at once, i buy something else from another dev then.

7. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

Unfortunately it is getting harder and harder to do. And i hate this since there are very nice apps like Scanbot, but i just want to buy an app and use it. Some apps however abuse this to entirely new level when you can see something around 6 or even 7 IAP if you want complete app functionality.

I hope they choke on it.