Retirement and last Horah!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Nov 14, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings Macrumors PowerPC fans!

This post is about an earlier intel machine, however since we do not have a section for this and you guys are experts in keeping these older times going, ill post it here.

Sadly my first computer, the White 2007 Macbook 3,1 is being retired. This has been my main machine since boxing day 2007. The machine is currently running on 4gb of ram and the SSD died a month ago.
    I got the SSD warrantied but its in my new(er) Macbook pro 9,2 that im getting thanks to the help of some MR friends, aka. Lightbulbfun. The machine now has a 100Gb Seagate drive and i have installed Mountain lion and typing from it right now. It will be a great secondary machine to use.

Anyways, the point of this post is to thank everyone, including Lightbulbfun, and many others on Macrumors, for helping me keep this amazing little machine going. The only reason ive let go is because i needed a faster machine and honestly the X3100 intel card isnt the best and gets pretty warm pretty fast.

Although im moving onto something newer, this forum has helped me keep this machine a working main machine for over 8 years, and my Imac G3 for even more years than that. And for that Fellow Macrumor PowerPC and early intel fans, i thank-you.

2. tdbmoss macrumors 6502

tdbmoss

Good to hear that the white MacBook has served you well - I've actually just bought a MacBook 4,1 as my parents wanted a newer secondary/mobile computer (they have a Mac Pro 1,1 that we bought a few years ago as their main one). I tried to persuade them to keep their current laptop (on the left below) given that it is the coolest laptop design ever made by Apple in my opinion (so much so that it's quite common to get comments if you use one in public these days) and I love PowerPC, but unfortunately it has been deemed to be too slow and the old AirPort Cards are too unreliable these days as they aren't compatible with the settings on a lot of public hotspots:

WP_20151115_14_39_51_Pro.jpg
    Hopefully the MacBook lasts as long as this 2000 Indigo iBook!

3. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Dang. What CPU does that ibook have? thats the one i want too! Haha. ANd indeed, the Macbook 3,1 has been a terrific little machine. Thanks to some fellow MR PPC fans, lightbulbfan, Blake, Bunspecial, ive got Mountain Lion running on it. Its smooth as butter. Its a great little back up machine as im not letting it go.

4. tdbmoss, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

tdbmoss macrumors 6502

tdbmoss

It's the Indigo (the second revision with FireWire) with 366 MHz of PowerPC G3 power :) Intel MacBooks seem somewhat boring in comparison to the PPC chip and that 1999 design, but sadly they are a little bit faster...

Does Mountain Lion (and later versions) really work well on the MacBook - I thought with the hacks to install it you can't get Quartz Extreme/Core Image as Apple couldn't be bothered to write a 64-bit driver for the older graphics chips/cards (unless installing on an older Mac Pro as you can upgrade the graphics card) and just ended support for all the older (EFI32) machines instead?

I'll probably go for Snow Leopard on this one anyway, we run it on the Mac Pro 1,1 as well and it's still the best OS Apple have made so far in my opinion - in terms of everyday performance the 1,1 with Snowy and an SSD is indistinguishable from a brand new Mac that would cost four times as much and offer none of the upgradeability...

5. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

The MacpostFactor 1.1 dont get it mixed up with MLpostfacto runs an application and if you have the ML app. in the applications folder it will create an installer for your 4,1 machine in the recovery partition, granted you have to be running lion. Everything works, out of the installer. Let it install on the machine, let it reboot, and run its setup. There are guides online. Its supports graphical everything and runs smooth as butter. Only thing i cant get running so far is Imessage.

6. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Hi,
    that nice Clamshell might be still Up-To-Date!!!
    - max-Up RAM to 576MB
    - ad an USB-WLAN Stick: WLAN-Stick EDIMAX EW-7811Un
    - update to webkit4tiger
    - use office '04
    - use PDF Editor "Skim"
    - inbuilt email-client
    - webDAV

Have fun!