Retnia Display in a 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I wonder if there would be a way to put a Retina Display in a 3GS.

I love both phones but if the 3GS had the iPhone 4's display, CPU and Memory, I would love it because I like the look and feel of my 3GS, also the iPhone 4 Camera and Flash.

I think the screen on the 3GS is more durable as well, and the entire case since it is not Glass.

It would be worth trying to see if it would work, then again I am not sure the 3GS could support it from the CPU and battery life.

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Seems like way too much work. Why not just get an iPhone 4 and a hard plastic case?

3. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

If you love the iPhone 4's CPU, memory, screen and camera why wouldn't you just use an iPhone 4 then?

4. richard371 macrumors 68000

I wonder if I can cut a retina display in half and put it in my Blackberry 9700? lol.

You gotta love these posts.

5. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I love both my iPhone 4 and 3GS, just need a SIM adapter for my 3GS because when I am going out somewhere where the iPhone 4 could get destroyed I would use the 3GS.

Meh just a thought process if you could put the Retina display in the 3GS, I am sure someone will combine the two into one phone, however not worth the headache for me, I will keep both.

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

The 3G/3GS LCD's are not interchangable and the 4 LCD is a totally different connector from what I can tell on the iFixit website.

I wouldn't rule out that Apple will be using this display in all future iPhone's (until a better display comes out of course) So maybe the next iPhone will be more like the older 3G/3GS.

I have to agree with what you're doing though, the iPhone 3GS feels far more 'rugged' than the 4 does, only because the 4 is almost entirely glass.
    Maybe if they made it out of something that was strong yet elegant looking with the durability of steel! One can only wish.

7. Thetics macrumors regular

I'm not the one to judge... but wow dude... just... wow....

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I love the speed and handling of my ferrari, but love the toughness of my hummer... I'm sure someone would find a way to put the same handling and engine in the hummer so I can have the best of both worlds. maybe through a software update?