retouching PDF files on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by feuerschlange, Aug 27, 2009.

1. feuerschlange macrumors regular

In my work, I often want to make a quick edit on technical drawings that come in PDF files (take out customer names, rearrange sections, details, blend out unneccessary measurements, …).

As a lot of things in OS X go very easy and quick, I am still on the lookout for a software, that let's me do exactly that - nothing more, no overhead.

Unfortunately Apples integrated Preview.app would have the ideal quick and easy UI, but lacks the "cut, paste, delete" functions, to do such easy quick edits.

I use Skim.app as a PDF viewer more than Preview, as Skim has some neat viewing features. Skim lacks the mentioned edit functions too.

I am forced at the moment, to use Photoshop CS3, which gets the job done perfectly, but forces me, to jump a few hoops, I would like to save for an even quicker workflow:

After opening, I am presented to an import dialog - unnecessary.
    When finished with editing, I want to make a quick save on the original file (⌘+S) with the same compression, the original file came with. PS ALWAYS presents an extensive dialog, how to output the file and ALWAYS asks me for a file path for saving.

What software do you know for Mac, that:

-opens any PDF file in any compression, coming with the original file
    -has zooming via "⌘ + -" and "⌘ + +"
    -has basic editing functions "delete", "copy", "paste", "cut"
    -has a quick save function, to overwrite the original file after work (dialog "Do you want to overwrite…" is tolerated though).
    -compresses the saved file in the same way, as the original compressed PDF file comes

Remember, the work gets done sadisfactory in PS CS3 - there are just these little buggers, that make batch processing of many files a pain (costs me 30% more time, than without them).

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Have you tired PDFPen? I've looked into it, highly considering it over Acrobat that seems to freeze and crash often, and it looks outstanding. And it's < $30.

3. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip Jessica.
    I tried Adobe Acrobat before (mis)using Photoshop for PDF editing.

Acrobat clogged up my hdd with almost 1GB of application space :eek:, was very slow and sluggish and outragiously expensive for what I need to do with it. It was fired after 2 weeks.

Skim does all the functions, I needed from Acrobat, except the editing.

I will look into your suggestion.