Retrieve apple mail 3 data from hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Deadandgone?, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Deadandgone? macrumors member

Deadandgone?

My G5 iMac that I had since 2004 finally died earlier this year. It has now been replaced by an early Intel model (A1207) running 10.6.8 which is working nicely, thank you. I have retrieved files and data from an old back-up, but I cannot open apple mail 3 which I was using with my G5. Is there a way I can retrieve apple mail 3 from the hard drive and open it/view/transfer the data. I have access to a Windows 7 laptop if there is any interface/software that I could run.

Thanks, people.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Migration Assistant works for some users and not others, I know when I moved from Tiger to Snow Leopard it was easier to switch to Thunderbird instead.

Thunderbird for PPC/Intel can import the mailbox, a how-to URL: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Mail.app
    Keep in mind importing the mailbox will likely "break" any cached non-attachment images.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Mail v3 was Leopard IIRC, so migration assistant should be OK with a single version increment.

5. Deadandgone? thread starter macrumors member

Deadandgone?

I tried migration assistant to get the stuff from my SmartDisk - admittedly the backup was quite old - but I cannot find my photos, mail 3 data and about 75% of my documents is just not there.

6. Deadandgone? thread starter macrumors member

Deadandgone?

Should have been, but I my mailboxes are just not there.
    Thanks. I will try the 'how-to', but I am increasingly pessimistic.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

SmartDisk?

The actual mail data is stored in : youruser/Library/Mail/V2/

8. Deadandgone? thread starter macrumors member

Deadandgone?

Well it's been a couple of months since I bought the early Intel iMac to replace my dead G5. I have 'found' all the stuff that was missing in the sparseimage file - who knew? - and am gradually getting my online life back. The next step is to upgrade the RAM to 3GB and I found a good deal for some OWC modules at a much better price than MacUpgrades.

Now if only I could rebuild my iTunes library. Over to another forum, I think.