retrieve contact list from iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mightyPhone, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mightyPhone macrumors newbie

Hi,

Something went terribly wrong during a 10.5.6 update on my iMac. The power went out during the update process, (we had a big snow storm here) and when the power come back the iMac won't reboot. I ended up reinstall OS X all over again. Almost everthing were backed up so it wasn't a big deal except for one problem. When I try to sync my iPhone 3G with iTunes, it says "The iPhone is synced with another iTunes Library..." it asks if I want to Erase and Sync, I didn't want to process as this is likely to erase all my contacts, is there a way to export the iPhone contact to a file first before I procee?

TIA

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Try authorising to the "new" computer or forcing a backup without syncing. Not sure but might allow a backup to be created you can recover from.

3. mightyPhone thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi aswitcher,

Thanks for the reply, I did a lo-tech backup just in case, (paper and pencil, ha ha) then I proceeded with iTunes, to my amaze, iTunes was smart enough to back up everything on my iPhone and restored all my contacts to Address Book! :)) Phew, what a relieve!!

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

:) Glad it worked out.

I recommend you go into your Macs address book and do a manual backup as well from time to time to make sure you dont loose anything. .Mac works very nicely these days as well.

5. mightyPhone thread starter macrumors newbie

Great advice. I found that the Timeless Machine always works the best. :}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.