retrieve deleted SMS from jailbroken iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chelsealanexo, Mar 4, 2012.

1. chelsealanexo macrumors newbie

Okay so I am new with all of this, and I am trying to get a recently deleted text message off of my jailbroken iPhone 2G. The text message was deleted Feburary 28, 2012 and I havent really used my phone that much since. I have never synched or backed up this phone since I got it, and it isn't activated into iTunes yet on a computer. I bought the iPhone Spy Stick this morning, but I am impatient so I googled other ways to possibly be able to retrieve the message without using it and I came across a way using DiskAid. I plugged in my phone to my computer and followed the steps for DiskAid. However, Diskaid only gave me the messages, contacts, and numbers that were on my phone after I deleted what I am trying to retrieve.

I also tried TextPad, which couldn't find anything I tried to locate. I'm thinking that that method didn't work, because I have never backed up or synched my phone to a computer before. I am now guessing that my best bet is to wait till I get the Spy Stick in the mail tomorrow or Tuesday and try with that. I hope that works, because I paid $145.00 for it! However, now I am kind of worried that I may have possibly messed up my chances using that by being impatient and trying to use DiskAid to recover the text. Do you think that I just overwrote the data by plugging my phone into the computer and loading my data using DiskAid even though it didn't really work as I was expecting. I really hope I didn't just mess everything up with my impatience! Someone please reassure me that I can still use the Spy Stick like I should be able to, because I just paid an arm and a leg for this thing! :(

Thanks!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

hate to be the barrier of bad news but I think you wasted your money. once you delete a text and you get a text the data is permanently deleted. not that experienced with this product but I did find reviews. this seemed the important part.

The Good

Easy-to-use and navigate
    Device is small, portable, and doesn’t draw any attention to itself
    Not only brings up the current data, but some deleted information (like calls and text messages) as well
    Great for extracting data from both, the iPhone and the iTunes backup data as well

The Bad

Only works on the iOS 3.2.1 and earlier. Although, the update for iPhone 4 is to be released in October 2010
    The USB flash drive has the logo on it which might draw some attention, but can simply be covered up with a sticker
    Only restores recent data that hasn’t been overwritten yet. ;) This is just the way memory cards and technology works and nothing can be done about it.

3. chelsealanexo thread starter macrumors newbie

How is it overwritten exactly? I just figured that is you try it pretty soon then it will work, but it can't recover data from a long time ago. I have read things that say that it is stored for some time, and even forensics say that iphones hold on to deleted data the longest out of phones. Also, if this is true then how does the UndeleteSMS app work from Cydia? I have also read reviews saying that that app is one of the best and cheapest ways to do this. I just didn't want to try that, because it is 6.99 and I have already spent enough money on this stuff and I didn't want to mess anything up or accidentally overwrite data before I get the Spy Stick.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

I don't think anybody can tell you a 100% if your deleted msg are gone till you try. personally I have never had your problem myself. I can tell you that if the data got overwritten it will be difficult to recover outside of forensics possibly not even then. good luck