Retrieve older iPhone backup (from Time Machine)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sandman42, Oct 21, 2011.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I had to take my iPhone into the ATT store this morning. Before I did, I backed it up. While I was at the store they wiped my phone to try to troubleshoot it, which was fine with me because I knew I had the backup.

They weren't able to replace my phone (out of stock), so they sent me home with my old phone. When I connected it to iTunes to restore it, the first thing it did was sync, which seems to have wiped out my previous backup.

When I try restore from backup now, the only choices I have are the backup created when I connected my phone after returning from the store, or one from a week ago.

Is there a way I can retrieve my backup from before I went to the store? I use Time Machine, so if I know what file to retrieve I could restore the file from the last backup (of my computer) before I went to the store.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

They are located here, but with Lion you have to hold 'option' when opening the folder as Lion hides the library folder.

User>Library>Application Support>Mobile Sync>Backup

3. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Great! Thanks. I tried holding down option when I opened my user folder, but library doesn't show up. Any idea why?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Try Shift+Option+G in Finder then enter ~/Library and click Go

5. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Ok, I got it: hold down option and use the "Go" menu in Finder. Thanks!!

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Sorry, I totally spaced and left that out.

7. zivia3 macrumors newbie

Where does it go?

Thank you for your help in being able to see the MobileSync folder... I transferred 7 GB of stuff and I can see that the storage space on my HD is diminished...

However I cannot find where this backup was put. It is not listed as a backup option in iTunes when I attempt to restore my phone, and I've searched everywhere I can think of...

Now it's just taking up useless space on my HD, which is so close to being full I really can't afford to lose it. Any ideas?