Retrieve Root Password on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dogger20011, Aug 23, 2014.

1. dogger20011 macrumors newbie

I would like to retrieve the root password for this machine running OS X 10.7.5. I do not want to reset the password, but actually get the password itself. I am on a Admin account and have access to Single User Mode. How would I go about doing this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you enabled the root user? By default access to the root user account is disabled and only allowed once a password has been created for the account. Why do you want to access or recover the root user account?

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Changing/resetting the root account password is fairly trivial, particularly with Lion and newer OS X versions.
    Retrieving the actual password is not, and the root password may not even be possible without some kind of cracking technique, beyond what this site will provide.

I would ask a similar question -
    Why do you need access to the root user, but don't want to change the password to do that?

4. chown33 macrumors 604

It's explained by his other thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1767429

Basically, if he resets the password, his school's IT admins will find out when he returns the machine, and he may get in trouble. So he needs to discover the password rather than reset it, so he can use it without anyone knowing he tinkered too much.

5. dogger20011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the root account has been enabled. I've tried using DaveGrohl to get the hash, but I get a Did Not Understand ShadowHashData error. Have any ideas?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Let your school repair it and set it back to what it is supposed to be like.

7. dogger20011 thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer is already fixed.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So, "fixed" also means the root password is sorted out?

9. dogger20011 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, he was talking about another issue I had with the computer. The root password is still a problem.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I saw your other thread about not being able to set the boot drive for startup, so you can't boot to the internal drive.

You said that there is a firmware password - which will prevent you from booting to anything else.
    Is that fixed now, so you can boot to the hard drive?

If that's still the issue, I wonder why you think the root password will help you...

11. dogger20011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is fixed, I can boot up into the OS and login to my admin account. I can also use a boot argument in terminal to boot into Single User Mode if necessary.