Retrieved stolen iPhone less than 12 hours later

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JosephBergdoll, Jun 24, 2010.

1. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

May 7, 2009
    without the help of mobileme or any other service.

Last night, I was playing basketball with some buddies at a local park. We always leave our stuff on a bench literally 10 feet away from the court we play on. We were playing and I noticed a sketchy guy walk by the bench, so I let the play finish and went and checked our stuff. I noticed him getting into a white PT Cruiser as I was walking over to the bench. Upon getting there, I also noticed my phone was gone, along with $20 from my friend's wallet, his debit card, and 2 basketballs. Immediately dialed the phone from my friends phone, no answer. I called AT&T and disconnected the line, and then filed a police report. We've played basketball with this guy before and he's been nothing short of weird and sketchy. I reported who he was and his vehicle and whatnot to the police, and then got super upset and left.

Lo and behold, I wake up this morning to an e-mail from a kind man saying "Joseph, I found your iPhone this morning, please call me back as soon as possible so I can return it to you." I talked to him on the phone and he found it lying on the ground on a street corner less than 2 blocks away. The phone I called my iPhone from last night is that of a friend who also has played ball with the sketchy guy before, and was the one who the guy always passed to. I'm guessing when I called, the contact pictured pulled up and he recognized who he was, and chucked the phone out the window. Sadly, he took off part of my InCase slider so I have a nice big scratch on the top left corner of the chrome bezel, as well as 2 small nicks in the glass, but at least I have my phone back.

Just wanted to share, and to remind everyone to be responsible with their phones (unlike me last night), and to take precautions if your phone is stolen (mobileme, etc.)!
  2. lawrence32 macrumors member

Jun 18, 2010
    Glad you got your phone back. That person was nice for calling you.
  3. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2008
    Lucky you. I don't even want to try to use my Remote Wipe feature from MobileMe.
  4. juicexct macrumors member

Jun 11, 2010
    how did the guy who called you get your number and know it was your phone?
  5. JosephBergdoll thread starter macrumors 6502

May 7, 2009
    He's an iPhone owner too, and sent me an email when he found my email address in the mail app
  6. kevintech macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Glad you got your phone back. If I play ball at a park, I always leave my phone and wallet in the car! There is no reason for me to have either while I'm playing ball. All I need is my water and keys.
  7. Antimatter macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2007
    So the thief got away with stealing your phone, a debit card and $20 out of a wallet, and TWO basketballs and nobody playing basketball noticed while he was doing this? 10 feet away from you...
  8. RogersDA macrumors 6502

Aug 19, 2009
    ^^^^Yeah - I guess by using the term "sketchy" he really meant to say "invisible".
  9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
  10. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2010
  11. dirkdirk80 macrumors member

Sep 26, 2008
    Good for you OP. That would be a huge relief!
  12. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2009
    hahahahahahahahahahaha ;)
  13. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2010
    Not to be a jerk but I smell tuna.
  14. nednarm macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2010
    Why would he be lying about this? It's not even a particularly interesting story so what would he have to gain from making it up? Stuff like this does happen.
  15. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2009
  16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Jun 16, 2009
    Champaign/Urbana Illinois
    Good for you, glad you got your phone back.

I was out jogging the other day and saw a flip phone laying in the middle of the jogging path, I picked it up to return it to its owner. A few minutes later I met two young girls who were obviously looking for something when I asked what they were looking for they said a cell phone, and described the one I had found. I was glad to be able to return it to them.

Unlike the naysayers who have posted on this thread things like this happen all the time. People do steal things and things do get returned by decent people.
  17. mavis macrumors 68040

Jul 30, 2007
    Tokyo, Japan
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Threads like this remind me why I live in Japan now. Thank you. ;)
  18. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2010
    Well the fact that a person was able to walk away with...." phone was gone, along with $20 from my friend's wallet, his debit card, and 2 basketballs." from a bench 10 feet from where you're playing tells me you and your friends are pretty dim. You say the bench was 10 feet away.... you couldn't see a guy going through items on said bench taking the time to rifle through a wallet taking $20 and a debit card.... why not take the entire wallet? Basketballs aren't exactly small you couldn't see him walk away? Just saying.
  19. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2006
    Great Britain (Glasgow)
    What a bad person :( I'd like to chuck that useless waste of space out the wnidow of a moving car see how he likes it :D:D
  20. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2009
    West Koast
    Agreed. I think the vast majority are decent people. I've returned a found iPad, and have been trying to return a lost 4thGen shuffle. I'm not that unusual.
  21. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2009
    People usually don't rifle through wallets, they just take the whole thing. Also like another poster said basketballs are not small. I find it strange that no one noticed a guy going through the stuff only 10 feet away.
  22. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

May 3, 2009
    London, UK
    Housemate found a phone in the park the other day, with a nice threatening message to the finder. Arranged a meet somewhere public, with security guards, a whole bunch of us (quite a few martial artists with skill - not me though, I'm just big) watching his back.

Transfer went smoothly and he got £20 for his troubles.

The next day one of my other mates loses his phone and we do a similar swap to get that one back.

Karma is really working these days.
  23. OneMike macrumors 603

Oct 19, 2005
    Have to realize how big a full court is. 10ft away from a court that's like 50ft by 90ft can be really close or really far. That's why when I play I always travel as light as possible. ID, car key, towel, that's it.
  24. samcraig macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    Because Japan doesn't have any crime? LOL
  25. -aggie- macrumors P6

Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    It’s honorable crime.:p