retrieving a wep key from an iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukeu03, Jun 11, 2008.

1. dukeu03 macrumors newbie

Hey, I can access my wireless router from my iphone, but somehow (even after hard restarting the router several times) my macbook can no longer access the router. Does anyone know if there is a way to retrieve the wep key off the iphone since it is stored on there somewhere in order to use my macbook wirelessly again...or is there a way to access the wireless signal that my iphone receives with my macbook a la blue tooth?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Wouldn't it be far easier to log into the wireless router and change the WEP key on there?

3. dukeu03 thread starter macrumors newbie

that is why i am trying to reset it...the admin/admin login that should work isnt working, and holding down the reset button for >2 minutes isnt resetting it back to default which would make that the login necessary

4. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I'm not sure about getting it off the phone, but most routers have a reset button on the back or bottom...generally difficult to press without a pen or something sharp.

Hold that for a sec and it should go back to default SSID and no wep. SSID would be "NETGEAR" or "linksys", or whatever kind your router is. It should show up as an option.

That, or if you never changed the admin login, you can hook the macbook up to the router, type 192.168.x.x (the two x's are generally 1's or 0's...different for different routers, so you'll have to look it up) in your browser on the laptop and log into the admin using the default login. (again you'll have to look up the default login because they're always different)

^^beat to the punch. Looks like the reset button isn't working and you changed your default login, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

5. dukeu03 thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha well if i didnt know that already that would have been a wonderful explanation on what to do, i appreciate the effort put into the walkthrough

6. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

haha, np.

You might try calling the manufacturer and seeing if they have any thoughts. When did you buy the router? If it was recent, it might still be under warranty.

Otherwise, might be time to upgrade routers. Sounds like this one is bugging out on you anyway. :(